Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
Laura Lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
...so i am the human paci...lol.

Angela-nope, that's what we do...seriously about 80 times a day. Sigh.
wow. I'm glad it's not just me. seriously, this is serious. the kid eats ALL the time. I feed him and ten minutes later whoever's holding him says "i think he's hungry."
but I went to my son's one month checkup and he gained 4 pounds since leaving the hospital. if someone my weight did that, it'd be 20 pounds a week. that's serious! (i told my brother to be careful how much milk he drinks!!
-as far as pacifiers, My mom was against them so I figured I would be, too, but in the hospital my nipples were so sore and Nathan was sleeping/using me as a pacifier... once I realized what was he was doing, I said, "I'm getting you a pacifier, kid! These puppies need to dry out!" I don't give it to him if he doesn't want it, though.

Advertisement

Laura Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
mama0609
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeacoustic View Post
So... Aurora has turned pretty fussy in the last few weeks. She's quiet if I hold a pacifier in her mouth. If that cures her, does that mean nothing else is wrong and all she wants to do is suck?
This is my motto... I also use this for gas... J is very gassy and so if he only fusses, then stops, then starts again for a second and stops, it's gas not hunger.

It's hard to read BF'd babies in my opinion. I've been letting J nurse ALOT more for comfort lately (though he would comfort nurse down, then get a paci) and he's started to spit up a bit more often... He has reflux and sucking soothes him... He is NOT a fan of the paci though, unless he's asleep so usually it's me holding it in for him. He would much rather have a boob than a paci and I don't blame him but sometimes mama's nips need a break!

In a healthy baby, you can't mask things with paci use... If they're hungry, they're going to quickly learn that 'hey this thing gives me nada'... Only if a baby is underfed and lethargic will they take a paci in place of eating (we had this issue with DD because of poor milk transfer).
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

lauralou-haha...20lbs in a week...that is crazy when you compare it that way!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #24
jakossi
Registered Users
seller

I think anything I would add has already been said, but FWIW, I'm also not opposed to the paci.

DS looooved his paci. DD1 never would take one or a bottle for that matter (though I wish she would have, she pretty much cried the first 6 months--looking back I think it was her dry, itchy skin, she had no kind of reflux like DS did). DD2, this baby, can kind of take it or leave it. Sometimes it'll soothe her, other times she just needs to be rocked a little bit, so I don't think she's going to be as attached as DS was.

For me I kind of look at these things like "battle now or battle later". I didn't want to be one of "those mom's" who's 4 year old was still sucking on a paci (no offense intended), but I also didn't have the mental and physical energy to be the human paci. I just knew the day would come when we would need to take it away and I needed to be prepared for the "fight" that he might put of. DS was 18 months when we took it away, although starting at 12 months it was only for bed/naptime. Once he learned to ask for it by name we cut off the tip and "broke" it. He slept holding it the first night and after that it was forgotten. He tried to give it to little sis who wouldn't take it and you can imagine how confused he was. Couldn't imagine why she would possibly not want it.
jakossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

jen-funny, my mom told me around 2 that the trashman couldn't afford one for his baby so i put mine in the trash for his baby...and that was the end of it. LOL. People think it's going to be traumatic but i don't think it always is.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

I'll let the girls have the paci until they are about 18 months old and then the paci fairy is taking them and leaving a present and that will be the end of it. LOL

I think it's more traumatic for the parent than the child in most cases. They may get mad and throw a fit etc but they'll get over it if the parent can stand their ground.
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
scuddles
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a fan of the paci--maybe because my kids are I think Zoe likes them more than Eli did, so I'm hoping that it's as easy to get her off of them as it was Eli. With him, he got a cold at around 10 months and couldn't breath through his nose to use it for several days. We kind of just didn't give it back to him after that. It was really easy all around!

We had a couple of different kinds, and Zoe definitely had a preference for the Dr. Weil ones. Funny how some of them have preferences...

GO GATORS!
scuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
thehappydeer
Registered Users
seller

i didnt use them at all w/ my first, but decided to try one when we are driving and i cant nurse... was using my pinky finger to soothe, but when we are out and about sometimes this feels unsanitary.
thehappydeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #29
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

I am not opposed to them, but would rather ds not take it, b/c when I go back to work I know my mil (my sitter) will give it to him more than necessary...b/c they do w/ my nieces/nephews.

When he seems to be real fussy/gassy I will give it to him, sometimes he doesn't want it. I feel like I spend more time getting up to put it back in his mouth than it's worth! Even if I hold it there for a few minutes he will either spit it back out or hit it w/ his hands, b/c he likes to keep them up by his face. Just in the past few days if he looses it, he has had an easier time finding his hands to suck on. The sleeve of his pajamas were soaked yesterday when he woke up to eat.
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
jen-funny, my mom told me around 2 that the trashman couldn't afford one for his baby so i put mine in the trash for his baby...and that was the end of it. LOL. People think it's going to be traumatic but i don't think it always is.
My mom was watching my cousin's kid while they were on a cruise and they asked her to try and get rid of the paci. First day she threw it away and told her that the dog ate it. She never made a fuss about it!