Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Screaming 5wk old in car seat - WWYD?

We just didn't drive anywhere if possible. Both of my kids hated the carseat for a long time, even the drive home from the hospital was hell.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine went through this too, I even posted a thread about it. It was really awful. Right around 3.5 months she stopped screaming in the car, I have no clue why. Until then nothing I did helped.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
My kids both just hated car seats. DS would settle down if someone could sit beside him and lay their whole hand on his cheek lol. Seriously, we made a 22hr drive like this.
My oldest was this way. On road trips, I sat next to her with my hand on her cheek and my eyes closed to get her to go to sleep. Oh, and if it was me instead of DH, she had to be touching my hair as well. On short trips, we just had to listen to her cry. She did grow out of it. I'm so sorry you have to deal with it. Its so hard to hear them screaming, especially when they're that little. I agree with the pp's that said to try adjusting the angle of her seat.

I am a child of God.

Last edited by Airyl; 06-18-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel your pain. My DD hated the car seat from the first days and (not to scare you) but it really didn't go away until she was around 15-18 months! That may be extreme, but it is so true! We seriously only went on short trips. Like, 35mn drive was a major planned out deal. She also wasn't one to fall asleep in the car seat, in fact if she was tired and in the seat she would scream worse. It does go away, and soon enough she will be driving herself around and you'll look back on these days and miss them...sort of
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy
I don't know what kind of carseat you have - is it a bucket seat? All 3 of my kids hated the bucket seat - HATED it. As soon as I moved them to a convertable seat they settled down. They still didn't like the car seat really but they didn't scream nearly as much. I don't really know why we even tried the bucket seat by the time ds came alng - you'd think we'd have learned by kid #3.
This. As soon as we moved her to a convertible She was peachy.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I would definitely not sit around at home just because of a crying baby, it could be weeks, months, or as a PP said, over a year before baby outgrows it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hugs! My DD2 was a car screamer. She had reflux and I think the way the bucket seat positioned her made it worse. It is heartbreaking to listen to :'( I also felt so horrible for my DD1 listening to it. Honestly, we didn't go very far unless we had to. I put her in a covertible (Britax Boulevard) at 3 months old and that made it 50% better. By 9 months old she had grown out of it mostly.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
rangefibers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom
My kids both just hated car seats. DS would settle down if someone could sit beside him and lay their whole hand on his cheek lol. Seriously, we made a 22hr drive like this.
This is EXACTLY like my 4mo DS. I have 2 older DDs in the backseat so I just have to sit with my arm twisted. I don't think he has reflux, I think he just hates his seat. My mom was up visiting the other week and we had about an hour trip to a funeral and she was getting mad at me for not stopping. But he had been changed and fed right before we left and I knew he just wanted out. She didn't believe me until we got to where we were going and he was happy and smiling. She couldn't believe it. I've heard that some kids do better in a convertible so I'm thinking of switching since his bucket never comes out of the car anyway.

Sorry to hijack. It's the absolute worst when you have a crying baby in the car and there is nothing you can do short of stopping and taking them out, which doesn't get you where you're going...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
I would definitely not sit around at home just because of a crying baby, it could be weeks, months, or as a PP said, over a year before baby outgrows it.
Sometimes though, it is the best option.

My dd hated the carseat, but would calm eventually or fall asleep. Once we switched her to a convertible at 6 weeks, it got better. Around 7 mths the crying stopped entirely. After her, I would have dished out the same advice given above.

Then, I had DS. He screamed, blood-curdling screams nonstop from the instant you put him in the carseat until the instant you took him out. He never fell asleep. He never calmed down. After 5 min in the car, you were frazzled. I never drove anywhere I didn't have to. The 14 hour road trip to my sisters house made me want to kill myself. It was horrid!

Nothing made it better but time. Switching to a convertible changed nothing. Putting it more upright changed nothing. He did not have reflux. Etc. around 13 mths things started to improve and he started taking breaks from the screaming. Around 18 months, the screaming was almost entirely gone. By 22-23 mths, he was a pleasant car rider. He still rides rear facing at 3years 11 mths.

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all your replies!
She is in an infant seat (called a bucket, correct?) I guess I could try to put a towel under her booty if that's ok security wise? I checked the installation of the seat and it is properly reclined (arrow in the green zone on the base indicator) so that's ok.
If I decided to switch seats and get another infant seat, which narrow one would you recommend? I have 3 across in mercedes ML (ff complete air in middle and rf pria 70 behind driver)
Thanks
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote