Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Supply HELP!

My 10 month old DS has had a stomach bug for the past few nights. (has been throwing up once a nigh for the past 3 nights, plus diarrhea diapers yesterday)I called the nurse line, they said stomach bugs have no rhyme or reason, can last 12 hours, or sporadically for a few days (any longer than 5 and they want to see him, or signs of dehydration, etc...)

DS last nursed at 12:30 am last night, an hour after he threw up. He was fussy all night long, but wanted nothing to do with nursing. At 6am we gave him some pedialyte (let him drink until his hearts content. learned our lesson there,) and it all came back up. 20 minutes later we have him another 1.5oz and he kept it down. At 8:00am I had to hand express some milk bc I was super engorged on one side, but only could get 2 oz. He drank it all no problem. He was still acting hungry, so I tried to nurse him, but he wants nothing to do with my boob.

The nurse said it's normal for them not to want to nurse when they don't feel well. And to keep offering it in a bottle or some pedialyte. Ok, well, how do I get milk out?! I don't have a pump, and am not going to go buy one, quite frankly we don't have the money to do so. I can only hand express milk out when I'm super full.

I'm scared I'm going to lose my supply. Between DS not wanting to nurse and being 5 weeks pregnant.

Help!! TIA

Advertisement

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply HELP!

Would this http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html link help? It's a hand-expressing tutorial.

The link shows several women being taught to hand express.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
Would this http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html link help? It's a hand-expressing tutorial.

The link shows several women being taught to hand express.

I'm sorry your LO is feeling funky. Sounds like he's been sick for a few days, so hopefully it will pass and he will want to nurse soon. It would probably be a good idea to hand express as much as you can, but since he's 10 months you probably have a good well-established supply. I would think it will be fine once he gets back on the wagon.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote