Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

how to present birth plan ?? - update 1st post - had my baby.

Baby #3 and I've never presented a birth plan. I need to help cause I have no idea where to start... and my c-section is in 2 weeks. I think my appt this week is my last appt.

this is what I want....

gentle "natural" c-section, with drape pulled down so I can see baby being born, baby on my chest for skin to skin. have an article to give to doc.

dad to stay with baby at all times

baby brought to me ASAP after getting to recovery, preferably baby waiting for me with dad

breastfeed ASAP

no bath right away, I want to do it later, with my own soap

no hep b vaccine at birth, will be done later

yes to vit k

yes to eye drops

no bottles/formula/sugar water, ect

no disposable diapers, dad will have cloth in hand

I think that's my requests in a nutshell... how do I present this to the doc and to the nurse staff upon checking in for my c-section? Is there a form to fill the info into or do I just write up my requests?

any suggestions will be appreciated!

Update - 3/24

I just thought I would give an update as to what happened with the birth. I had my son on Monday and things went really well. I brought in a simple checklist of my requests for the staff and gave it to the first nurse. She put it in the "tube" for the rest of the nurses and the nursery nurses. The "tube" I guess is their internal computer network. They use computers instead of regular files. Everything is on the computer. She also verbally told nurses as they were coming and going as we prepped for the c-section. Noone seemed to have a problem and were all very nice. When we walked into the OR, the nurse with me made sure to tell the nurses that were setting up about some of my requests, mainly the drapes being lowered. Well, we got all set up and got started. When it came time to get to baby, they lowered the drapes as best as they could. Doc warned me that it's big, but they got it lowered. I couldn't see SUPER well because I couldn't lift my head enough. I couldn't see his head come out simply cause there is a big belly in the way. When she lifted him out, I did see that, though. Up popped this little naked baby and I saw him RIGHT in front of my face from his head to his tiny toes!!! I had already been crying long before that part, so I started saying "my baby! my baby!" I have to tell you, seeing that fresh naked little baby pop up is VERY different from having a fully wrapped up newborn placed next to you when you can only see the face. It was very emotional to see my son at the same moment as everyone else AND see him in all of his glory. My amazing husband got a picture at that exact moment - and the pee that he immediately released 2 out of 3 of my children have peed upon birth. It was just awesome seeing him the moment he was pulled out. it was worth having to watch the nurse lean and press on my tummy roughly in order to get baby to come out! Baby was handed off to the ped and his staff for a quick once over. They asked DH if he wanted to cut the cord and he said no, but I said YES and told him to get his butt over there. he'd never cut the cord before. He did and the nurse took pictures for us. They wiped him up, wrapped him up, and brought him over and placed him on my chest. Well, DH had to help me hold him, but there he was, on my chest. I got to kiss and snuggle him and watch him make bubbles with the fluids coming out of his mouth. The nurse took a bunch of family photos for us. He got to hang out with me for a good bit and then DH went with him to the nursery to get weighed and all of that while I got transported over to recovery. As they were wheeling me in, DH came in empty handed. He forgot he wasn't suppose to leave the baby, but he said he wanted to come check on me and see how I was doing. I was a little upset for a second, but just a couple minutes later my baby was rolled in. We were only separated for a few minutes, so I was ok. We nursed right after he came in and he nursed for like 40 minutes! The delivery itself went very well and I am very pleased with how things played out. Then we were sent off to the postpartum room. I didn't even have to go over my list too much with those nurses cause they already knew Our stay there was awesome and I had the best nurses! I had no problems with my requests and everyone was very eager to make me comfortable. Baby was only away from me for 3 times. First night was 7 minutes for a weight check. Nurse was as quick as possible Second night they did a weight check, PLU, hearing test, ect. He was taken on 2 separate ocassions because his hearing test was taking too long (kept failing left ear), so the nurse stopped the test and brought him back to me. She said she was trying to keep him from me for as little as possible and figured we could try the left ear again later when they had to do the PKU and pictures (MIL wanted them done). I appreciated that cause I was starting to get antsy

Oh, we had ZERO troubles with cloth diapering. Not a single nurse had a problem. Only one nurse said she doesn't change cloth diapers and she would leave that to me. I think she was just unsure of what to do. I laughed and said that was fine by me. I did ALL of his diaper changes and was more than happy to. I don't think doing cloth is any more challenging than sposies. I just put DS on a pillow on my lap and changed him there. I kept a small wetbag nearby for the dirties. Worked out really well and DS has ONLY been in cloth The nurses were so intrigued by my diapers and the different options and colors. lol they were loving it and having me explain how it works. yay for cloth!

This hospital is apparantly pro-breastfeeding. I didn't see a single bottle of formula in my cart and not a single nurse suggested formula at any point even though DS had lost nearly 10% of his birth weight. He was born 8 lbs 12 oz and was down to 8 lbs 5 oz the first night. The second night he was down to 7 lbs 15oz. They just suggested to increase nursing sessions and see the ped for a weight check in a week. They didn't even send me home with a formula filled diaper bag, no diaper bag at all, actually. Looks like if you want to breastfeed, you are actually given a shot. THe LC visited multiple times without me even requesting.

So, yeah, I am very happy with my birth experience despite having to go the c-section route No regrets here!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by My Sweet Blessings; 03-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how to present birth plan ??

I have read it is best to bring a copy to an appointment for your dr to put in your chart and then bring a few more copies with you when you check into the hospital... One for each staff member working at the time.

Sounds like an awesome plan! I can hardly wait to hear about your birth!
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 4 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #5 January 2017.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, type it up and take a copy to your doctor beforehand so he/she knows what you are expecting and you can talk about any concerns they may have about your plan before the c-section (I bet they won't though - it sounds very reasonable!) And then take copies to give to the nurses and other hospital staff. I don't think they usually have any sort of form where you can make your requests known. Good luck! I hope all goes well and you are able to have the birth you want!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Yes, you really need to talk to your doc about this before going to the hospital. Unfortunately "gentle" c-sections that you are referring to are not common here and you may have a really hard time with that part of your birth plan. Absolutely something you should discuss beforehand! I really hope your doc. agrees as I think that is such a wonderful way to humanize c-sections.

The rest of it is pretty standard and should be no problem with the nurses and docs.

Good luck!

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
KDBarnett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama,

I agree with everyone that you should definitely present your birth plan to the doctor prior to the birth, at one of your prenatal appointments, but make sure you bring copies with you to the hospital to give to the nurses who check you in when you arrive for your c-section. You may also want to consider "sweetening" things by bringing a treat for the nurses for when you present your plan.

I did this when I brought my birth plan to the hospital for my last birth, although it wasn't a scheduled c-section, but I think it helped a little to let the nurses know ahead of time what I was hoping for, while at the same time thanking them ahead of time, and showing my appreciation (with a sweet treat!) before the birth! Who doesn't love to be thanked with a "sweet treat"??

One more thing, they may not be agreeable to having a gentle, natural c-section in exactly the way that you envision, or having the drape down for you to view, but I think you should definitely get all of the other requests you have. I think if you are really up front and clear with the doctor ahead of time, and bring your birth plan to "sweetly" share with the nurses, you should have a wonderful birth! Congratulations on your new baby!
KDBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I certainly plan to talk to my doc at my appt this week unless baby comes early. I hadn't even heard of the gentle c-section until the other day when a mama on here posted about it. I would have brought it up a long time ago if I had. That mama posted a video and an article about it, so I plan to give that info to my doc. She's pretty lax on a lot of things, so I am hoping she goes along with it. Really, the only extra I am asking is that the drapes are lowered so I can see him and for him to be handed off to me and DH instead of nurses and a cold table. I don't think that's a big deal or crazy off the wall at all. I'm not asking to let DH in there to deliver or anything like that. Since I've had 2 c-sections before, I know what it's like to be stuck on a table not knowing exactly what's going on and just waiting to hear the baby cry cause you can't see anything. You are the last to see your own baby. It's not fair. He's coming out of ME, after all.

thanks for the "sweets" tip. I may bring in some donuts since I have to be there at 5:30 in the morning! Who doesn't love donuts!?!

I plan to give DH a copy, too. He is my advocate and he doesn't have the greatest memory during crunch time. He'll have his own little cheat sheet when they ask him a question
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings
I certainly plan to talk to my doc at my appt this week unless baby comes early. I hadn't even heard of the gentle c-section until the other day when a mama on here posted about it. I would have brought it up a long time ago if I had. That mama posted a video and an article about it, so I plan to give that info to my doc. She's pretty lax on a lot of things, so I am hoping she goes along with it. Really, the only extra I am asking is that the drapes are lowered so I can see him and for him to be handed off to me and DH instead of nurses and a cold table. I don't think that's a big deal or crazy off the wall at all. I'm not asking to let DH in there to deliver or anything like that. Since I've had 2 c-sections before, I know what it's like to be stuck on a table not knowing exactly what's going on and just waiting to hear the baby cry cause you can't see anything. You are the last to see your own baby. It's not fair. He's coming out of ME, after all.

thanks for the "sweets" tip. I may bring in some donuts since I have to be there at 5:30 in the morning! Who doesn't love donuts!?!

I plan to give DH a copy, too. He is my advocate and he doesn't have the greatest memory during crunch time. He'll have his own little cheat sheet when they ask him a question
lol!! But maybe you should put that in there to make sure everyone is reading it and not skimming.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's always a good idea to check the hospital's policy when writing a birth plan. Some of the things you posted might not be an issue but some of them, the hospital/doctor will not allow if it's against their policy. This goes especially for skin to skin in the OR and baby/bf in recovery. It's a great idea having dad with baby at all times, especially if you don't want bottles. I once supported a mama who was all alone and she wanted to bf/no bottles. The nurse was so tempted but I was watching her like a hawk

Also keep in mind that while the doctor might be ok with those things, the anesthesiologist might not be.

Good luck to you
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please post a link to the article and video....I would love to know more.
Awesome birth plan. I had mine typed up (awful handwriting here) and had 4 copies. One for DH and I, one for the dr(given at last appt), and two for the nursing staff.
I hope they don't give you a hard time about any of your requests.

It was hard for me when they lost DS's tones and my entire plan was thrown out the window to get him back. But he came out healthy and happy so all was right with my world.
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct

Last edited by youngmomma; 03-08-2011 at 06:31 AM.
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote