Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any teachers in here?

I'm due with my second in about 4 weeks and am so stressed out about going into labor at school! I was hoping to find some teacher mama's to share their experiences.

My first was born at the end of June. I actually taught half a day of summer science camp at my school the day she was born. My water broke that evening and she was born less than 4 hours later. Of course, I didn't know anything with the first, so I wasn't really worried about anything happening while I was teaching.

Now that I know what to expect, I am SO panicked that my water is going to break while I'm at work and the kids will freak out. I teach groups of 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders throughout the day. I don't know if I should prepare them in case something happens or just not say anything and deal with it if it happens. I'm seriously starting to lose sleep over this!

Any advice?

Advertisement

kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
fedoragirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any teachers in here?

I wouldn't say anything to the students. It doesn't matter how old they are--they just cannot figure out pregnancy. It would freak them out.
I had a plan to keep my coworker informed about how I was feeling close to due date. As he was a recent father, he would take charge and we would get me to the hospital.
If your water breaks in class, just try to sit behind the desk, get a student to get an administrator or trusted coworker, and they will take you to the hospital of your choice. I also planned on transferring my class to my coworker's classroom to avoid any embarassing displays.
fedoragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

I am not a teacher, but I work in the office of a high school, and my hubby is a teacher. I like what the pp said. If your water breaks, I would quickly try to get to your desk and stay put. Does your room have a phone in it? If so, could you call the office and have them send someone to get your students? If not, then like pp said have a student go and get "Mr. or Mrs. So-and-so". Kids that age are pretty oblivious, and probably wouldn't even realize there was a problem as long as you stayed calm and cool. If you kept it light and happy, you could even tell your students that you were going to be leaving to have your baby, and would be gone for several weeks. Most kids, especially the older aged kids would probably be really excited about it!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well my co-teacher is in the room next door-we are connected by a little hallway with bathrooms. We have a plan worked out as far as her taking the kids and calling the office. I'm pretty sure that it will be hard for me to remain calm and seated if my water broke. I'll probably want to dash to the bathroom!
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

here's what happened with my ds 4 years ago.

went to the dr on Tuesday, decided that I needed to be induced the following Monday.

went to school on Wednesday, told the students that Friday was going to be my last day.

my water broke Thursday morning at 3...so never had to deal with laboring at school...unfortunately I missed the baby shower my class had planned for Friday
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try not to worry to much about it. I know, easier said than done. With dd1 my water broke at home on a Saturday and I was very glad for that! I taught younger students and they probably would have been saying "mrs. ****" peed her pants, for the rest of the year. I agree with pp, I wouldn't talk with the students ahead of time. I don't think it would really help them understand much and it might just make it an even bigger deal. Plus it might not happen at school at all! I mean what are the chances?!? (or at least that's what I told myself when I was worried about it ).
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
BKmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I teach 2nd and just told my kids I would be leaving soon to have the baby. They were ok w that. Keep ur cell on u in case u need to call the office in a real emergency gl momma!!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
silver
Registered Users
seller

I would wear an adult diaper as you get close Makes me laugh but I know lots of people who do it!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I would wear an adult diaper as you get close Makes me laugh but I know lots of people who do it!
I was going to suggest something similar, but I wasn't sure how well that would have gone over.

I do agree though, that wearing some protection would hopefully make you feel a bit more comfortable if it were to happen at school. And what seems like an eternity from when your water would break and your co-teacher would get your kiddos cleared out would probably only be a couple minutes.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a teacher. I'm not worried about the kids since I teach elementary life skills (special ed) so they really have no clue that I'm even pregnant. But there are 6 assistants in my classroom who know what's going on. Luckily I'm close enough to them that I won't be freaked out with embarrassment AND they'll be able to help.

What does worry me is.... the janitor. He's a grouch when I call him to come clean up urine or vomit in my classroom. I can't imagine his reaction if I call him to come clean up my amniotic fluid.

I've decided just to not worry too much. I'm working until April 21 and my due date is the 26 and this is my 2nd. So there is a real chance that I could go into labor at work or have my water break.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote