Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #21
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern IL-near STL
Posts: 5,408
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlander04 View Post
She said that since I have been one centimeter for almost two weeks that there's no chance of my body doing it on it's own. How is that true??
umm not very true, I was dilated to 2 for 1 week 2-3 for 2 weeks and still only 3 when my water broke and I went to the hospital for contractions 2-3cm apart..so theres a chance that your body WILL do it on its own, if you dont want to be induced dont... youve had 3 kids already so your body can do this mama

ETA: my drs started checking me at 36 weeks and I had ds at 40w2d and this is even after having a premature baby 2yrs before...I did not dilate fast at 1st this time around, and hard telling how long I was dilated to 2 before 36weeks.

Advertisement

__________________
mom to 2 boys 2005 and 2007

Last edited by LuAnn; 09-27-2007 at 06:32 PM.
LuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
icanonlyimagine's Avatar
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,012
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

I was 1 cm my whole last MONTH and I went into labor 4 days before my dd. thats totally a bunch of crap she is giving you... stick with what you feel is right. I mean jeez baby was only due YESTERDAY its not like waiting another week to go into labor naturally is going to hurt
__________________
Jonita wife to Eric SAHMommy to Graceen 6/9/04, Mackenzie 2/27/08
HAVE YOU TRIED THE ALL NEWDONT FORGET THE ALWAYS AWESOME
icanonlyimagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #23
Tahaacke's Avatar
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Milton, OH
Posts: 1,002
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Wow I would have went off on your doc. I am due today and still not dialted anymore then 1cm (on the outside, she said on the inside I'm still closed ) but my midwife isn't worried. She ASKED me if I wanted to be induced again (was with my DD) on my 41st week or schedule it for when I am 42 weeks. I choose to wait it out. But yeah I have been 1cm since 36 weeks so there should be no concern IMO for the doc to want to induce you so soon. It seems more like it might just be for their benifit not yours. Alot can go wrong with being induced so you would think they would want to wait it out and see what the baby is thinking. Did they even give you an US to determine fluid levels and whatnot? I would think they would do that before they would schedule.

Well good luck and hang in there.
__________________
Tosha: Veggie, Student, & Single Mother to Samara (10/05) and Phoenix (10/07).
Autumn Lace Photography
I can do people, product, and nature photography at reasonable rates or trades
Tahaacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #24
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,304
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Quote:
She said that since I have been one centimeter for almost two weeks that there's no chance of my body doing it on it's own.
Oh this is the stuff that just drives me CRAZY!!! You have to start somewhere right?? I was 1cm for months! I was 0cm 2 days before I went into labor on my own! I just can't believe a DOCTOR would say that!? How ignorant!

As far as your induction, I would cancel, just incase another mom is being bumped (who may WANT to be induced) b/c you're booked that morning. KWIM?

I would wait it out as long as YOU feel comfortable! Forget your family, they aren't the ones carrying and giving birth to this baby! You are! You are the one who will have to recover from an uncessary c/s if they induce you and you fail to progress from overstimulation and/or the baby goes into distress and you need to deliver ASAP. If your dr feels you need an NST to follow the baby's placenta function and fluid levels than I would definatly go forth with that, but otherwise just wait it out! No harm in that AT ALL!!
__________________
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
erin_brycesmom's Avatar
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,185
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

OMG there is no way in the world I would stay with that OB.

Quote:
I insisted that I did not want to do it and she still scheduled it.
There is no way I could stay with a provider who did that to me. That is malpractice.
__________________
~Erin (mama to 3 boys)
erin_brycesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #26
ClothDiaperMePlease's Avatar
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 6,639
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
There is no way I could stay with a provider who did that to me. That is malpractice.
ITA!!!
__________________
LM
Dready mama to 3 delightful boys, one darling daughter and wife to one mostly delightful DH
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #27
chpiper's Avatar
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,064
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Ohh, how frustrating!! If you want to buy some more time, you can always offer to come in and have your blood pressure checked and non stress tests to assure both you and baby are doing fine...I have known some moms who have gone to a full 2 weeks past their edd by doing this... Also, have you ever heard about evening primrose oil? I know several mamas who have inserted it before bedtime and left it 'soak in' overnight...they say it really helped them get thinned out and really soft...check out www.gentlebirth.org for some info on that...

Best Wishes for a safe and satisfying birth!!
__________________
~Kara~
Mommy to 5 Beautiful Blessings
Earn Money and Amazon GCs using Swagbucks
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
kezoo's Avatar
kezoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,031
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlander04 View Post
She said that since I have been one centimeter for almost two weeks that there's no chance of my body doing it on it's own. How is that true??
That's a total load of you know what. I was dilated with both starting at about 35 weeks, and I was "overdue" by 4 days w/ my first and 2 days w/ my second. Oh, one of my good friends was "shut tight" at her Friday checkup and then went into labor early Monday morning, baby born later that day! And, per Henci Goer's book, dilation & effacement (or lack thereof) is NOT an indicator of impending labor! I cannot believe you said no to the induction and she scheduled it anyway. I would call to cancel (out of politeness to other hospital staff) and when you do, explain that your OB scheduled it against your wishes and you are not going to force your child out of your body against nature's wishes. You are only a few days "overdue", well within the normal pregnancy window. I would keep that baby cooking as long as she wants to cook, and if you have to go info a BPP or NST, do it, because the OB can't argue with good results.
__________________
Kerry
Mama to Gavin (3/26/03) , Claire (6/14/05) and Oliver (hb 4/24/08)
ISO: nothing! | IHA: small fitteds, small & med wool
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #29
bradleymama's Avatar
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,471
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

I would also stick to your guns, as long as you are fine and baby is fine, why force the baby out before its ready? And I was dilated to 3cm at 39wks, and delivered 8 days later after 26 hours of labor. Like the pp said, dilation is no indication of when your baby will be born. You could have that baby 2 hours from now for all we know! And I agree as well that you don't need to call and cancel (unless you want to, and are prepared to deal with the confrontation). If they call you, just tell them that you told your doctor that you declined the induction at the present time. Whether or not they scheduled you is their problem, not yours. And remember, no one can MAKE you do anything, its your body, your baby...and ultimately, YOUR decision. Best wishes mama!

Oh, and the usual stuff for starting labor...sex, activity (long walks, etc), and I've had a student who had success with accupuncture as well. Sending you labor vibes
__________________
Kara ~ Wife to my greatest love & best friend & Mama to our 3 beautiful children
Darling 5-yr old DD busy 3-yr old DS & our 1-yr old princess
Natural Childbirth educator
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #30
MamaJoyful's Avatar
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,319
My Mood:
Re: EDD...today. Doc wants to induce on SAT and I say...

I would call to cancel the induction. No need to explain very much. Just tell them there was some miscommunication. Basically, only tell them as much as you need to so they understand that you will not be coming for the induction. Like the PP said, someone else might need that slot. Or, actually I would call the OB office and request that they take care of it. Ya, that's a better idea. They can deal with it. That makes sense.

If you were able to switch to a different Dr, that would be nice. But if that is not really something you want to deal with right now, then at least consider finding another one for next time. However, if you are up to it, I think I would seriously consider a different Dr. Or, I would call her and have a heart to heart with her. She needs to understand that you were not ok with what she did. You need to be at peace with the person who is going to deliver your baby. That is very important.

I hope that you can find a good solution for all of this. So sorry you are having to deal with this stuff at the very end of your pg. Ugh!

I can be dilated as early as 30 weeks, but have never delivered before 38 & 2. So yes, that is not true. You know, that is one reason some midwifes don't believe in checking the cervix unless necessary. It's not necessarily an indication of empending labor, or even of problems if it's open early. Mine opens a little bit in the last trimester some time, and it's just fine.

I don't know if it is possible in your situation, but maybe consider seeing a midwife next time. The typical hospital and OB protocol drive me nuts! I hear about too many things like this. I know, they can really be a blessing when they are truely needed, I don't deny that, but things like this are far too common.

Praying that you'll have a baby in your arms in due time, healthy and strong, and that you'll have a quick and wonderful labor. Blessings!

Let us know how you're doing!
__________________
Mama to our many blessings!
MamaJoyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.