Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
scdeckert
Registered Users

fussy baby while nursing

So myself and DS (11 weeks old) are both frustrated with the nursing. He will nurse for a few minutes and then just start crying and fussing and pull away, then go back for more, pull away, fuss, go back in for more! I try him on the other side and the same thing occurs after a few minutes. This goes on and on and is super frustrating I just give up. I burp him, it seems better for a few more minutes. He spits up too so I know he is getting something! Am I empty and he gets frustrated? Does he just want it faster? I confess, nursing is not my most favorite and I do pump too, but that is hard to do on a consistent basis while DH is working full time. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Advertisement

scdeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Jess86
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: fussy baby while nursing

My daughter is 3 weeks old and does this at the beginning of her feedings, but she has thrush. I have a heavy letdown also so she can't swallow fast enough and it makes her angry lol. My son had thrush at 8 or 9 months and did the same thing as well. It could be a number of things but just thought I'd throw that in there
Jess86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
christieh
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: fussy baby while nursing

I don't think it is your supply being too low. My dd did that for 3 reasons. 1. My letdown was heavy. She didn't cry about that one, just sputtered and coughed all the time. 2. She had reflux. We had to put her on meds :-( 3. She was constipated. If your ds is going back for more, but he still wants to nurse, it sounds like he might be in pain. Personally, I would take him to his pediatrician just in case, especially if you say he is spitting up.

Hang in there. Breastfeeding is so much work in the beginning, and giving up is often the only option mamas think of. But after a few months, it becomes the easiest option. There aren't nearly as many bottles to wash, and at any time, you can pop him on the boob without preparing anything. It is cheaper and healthier for both of you if you can hang in there a little longer! I'm chearing for ya!