Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Teaching going down stairs

Do yall have any tips to help DS2 learn to walk down the stairs?

Carrying a 18lb baby and a 28lb toddler down the stairs at once is getting quite heavy. He just turned 2 in January and at his 2yo check up one of the tasks they asked if he could do was walking up and down stairs.

I have tried to hold his hand and let him walk down them but he freaks out and wants to be carried. I have tried putting him down when there is only a couple steps left hoping it'd be less intimidating for him and hed try but he still wont. He will step down a curb and the step down to our garage but not the stairs. He can go up holding my hand but usually just crawls up them.

Maybe its nothing and he will just do it one day and I shouldnt worry about it but I thought Id ask.

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Teaching going down stairs

My DS can't do them standing up. He can only crawl backwards down them, but if they're carpeted, he sort of lifts his feet and slides down them. The easiest thing for us was to be somewhere there is only 2-3 steps and just let him have free play on them. My parents have just a couple steps from the kitchen down to the entryway, so DS played there until we we're comfortable letting him crawl down our entire flight of stairs. Maybe if you get down on all 4s and demonstrate? At first we had to constantly remind him, "no, turn around" so he wouldn't try going down facing out. It's much safer to face the stairs and crawl/slide backwards.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
My DS can't do them standing up. He can only crawl backwards down them, but if they're carpeted, he sort of lifts his feet and slides down them. The easiest thing for us was to be somewhere there is only 2-3 steps and just let him have free play on them. My parents have just a couple steps from the kitchen down to the entryway, so DS played there until we we're comfortable letting him crawl down our entire flight of stairs. Maybe if you get down on all 4s and demonstrate? At first we had to constantly remind him, "no, turn around" so he wouldn't try going down facing out. It's much safer to face the stairs and crawl/slide backwards.
Oh he can climb down the stairs. Never has done them all but he can go up and down crawling for sure. We have a lot of steps. I just dont think he wants to..
Old 02-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, crawling backwards. My guy is the same age (and weight!) as yours and most steps are too high for him to go down forward, even though he has learned how--only ones with a really short rise work for those little legs. But backward crawling is great.

I had one baby/toddler combo where the toddler was resistant to going down (crawling backwards) herself but I just kept working with her and eventually she didn't mind any more.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I think DS would prefer to be carried, but if I don't offer he doesn't want to be left alone upstairs. He'll come down eventually. Will C just stay up if you leave him at the top? Walking down them at that age/size just scares me.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive never just left him at the top. Im too scared hed fall.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What if you just left him part way?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
What if you just left him part way?
I think he would go back up lol
Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

*said gently*....I wonder if your fear of him falling has made him scared of the stairs? Addilyn has been going up and down crawling since she was probably 12m. She has been walking up them since before 18m and walking down for quite a while as well. She was always pretty naturally cautious with them so I didn't worry about her much and she just took off on her own.

I know all kids are different and they do things at different times, but as long as his gross motor development is pretty normal I think the only thing keeping him from it is fear. I would start gently encouraging more independence--normally mine crawl down first and you can try to get him to do that if you think he would be more comfortable. Then try setting him down 2 steps from the bottom and encouraging him to walk down holding your hand. Once he gets over the initial hurdle there will probably be no stopping him!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
*said gently*....I wonder if your fear of him falling has made him scared of the stairs? Addilyn has been going up and down crawling since she was probably 12m. She has been walking up them since before 18m and walking down for quite a while as well. She was always pretty naturally cautious with them so I didn't worry about her much and she just took off on her own.

I know all kids are different and they do things at different times, but as long as his gross motor development is pretty normal I think the only thing keeping him from it is fear. I would start gently encouraging more independence--normally mine crawl down first and you can try to get him to do that if you think he would be more comfortable. Then try setting him down 2 steps from the bottom and encouraging him to walk down holding your hand. Once he gets over the initial hurdle there will probably be no stopping him!
I dont think hes scared because he has done it once or twice before holding my hand. He just wont do it regularly. I will admit we have a lot of stairs (15) which I am sure is intimidating to a little man. But even if I set him down a couple steps from the bottom he just cries and wont budge.

Am I totally off thinking he wants to be carried because L is being carried too?