Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to dress summer baby?

I'm due in the middle of July & we don't have air conditioning, so our house in the 90s in the daytime and 80s at night. Would a newborn still need long sleeves and such? I'm trying to get clothes ready but I don't know what to get! ***We dont plan to get an ac either, we really prefer to feel the seasons indoors :-)

Ds was always hot, and often screamed if had anything on his head or feet even with snow on the ground, so I feel like my experience the first time won't help much.

Advertisement

Last edited by nothingtosee; 02-16-2018 at 07:41 PM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
mommalovestrucks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to dress summer baby?

When my first kid was born the end of may, we lived in a non ac apt and she was pretty much naked the first month until we moved.
mommalovestrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

No long sleeves required. I'd probably mostly use short sleeve onesies or short rompers. You might get a couple long sleeves for fluke chilly days but certainly not needed for 80/90 degree weather.

I've always wanted a summer baby because you don't need layers and freezing weather gear!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for your replies! I feel like I'll still get a lot of "Oh, she must be so chilly!" remarks and such from the..ahem...older ladies, but I was thinking that surely the baby would be too hot in long sleeves. I'm thinking some short sleeve tshirts and shorties if we have to leave the house, and just a diaper if we don't.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a July baby last year, and we don't have AC either. She wore diapers and t-shirts, and was probably much more comfortable than the rest of us!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

DS was born in early August and we don't use our ac much - I always feel like it stuffs me up - so he pretty much wore a diaper for the first few months. We did have some short sleeve/leg one-piece outfits, and sometimes a onesie, but I thought the air was good for him. But don't forget when you go anywhere it'll probably feel really cold to the baby since it won't be used to ac. I found this out by going to Target once and DS got really worked up, screaming like he hadn't yet before. It took me a bit to realize he was cold, and I didn't actually have warm things with me for him. I took a shirt off the rack and wrapped him in it until we could head back outside. Stores are especially cold, but friends' and family's homes might be too. So you might keep a zip up sweatshirt on hand or just a few blankets that you can add easily when you go in and take off when you come back out.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No A/C here either. Two August babies actually had some cooler weather plus it turned soon after, so they sometimes were in short sleeve onesies, sometimes full outfits. A mid June preemie same thing.

For this July baby I expect to need mostly short sleeve or shirtless, but keep a light sleeper and a light snow suit (think fleece weight) in the car in case we're out in a cooler evening. At home outside I'll use muslin blankets. Mostly baby and I will be too hot in the Moby anyway
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #8
cresto82
Registered Users

No need to give her longsleeves unless it is cold. If it's pretty warm in the house already, then just give her those t-shirt made from cotton material.
cresto82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
abh5e8
Registered Users

With both my may and Aug babies, they lived in diapers and a Muslim swaddle blanket most of the time. I had 5-6 SS onsies in each size and a couple of sleepers with the feet attached, mostly for going to church or places with cold AC. I loved not needing tons of layers. My two October and jan babies seemed to need so many cotton and fleece sleepers, plus onsies, hats, socks, snow suits and more.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is an excellent point about going places with A/C! Since we don't have A/c in the car either, blankets were still great for this so baby doesn't get too hot on the way there. When they're little enough to wrap up anyway.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote