Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Daily pre-preschool type activities

I want to organize some daily activities for DS2 to do, he is 2yo (27mos). There is a time in the morning when the baby is napping and I want to utilize that time for some structured learning/playing one on one with him.

I've seen on Pinterest an idea where they have daily bins. So each day has it's own bin and there is a sensory bin or activity for each day all together and ready to go. I like the thought of this. It doesn't have to take long. I just want to be able to set aside time for things he can do that maybe isn't as easy to do when the baby is climbing all over him.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Advertisement

kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Daily pre-preschool type activities

Put in a few books to read aloud, a game, playdough. You can print letters out (with a computer or by hand) and put them in page protectors and shape the letters to match the ones on the paper.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Sorting things like colors and shapes? Stringing beads onto pipe cleaners? Once he gets good at that you could show him patterns.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The messy stuff and choking hazards you don't want left out, if you're going to be one on one with him. I wouldn't bother with bin-of-the-day with just one child, but make a list of activities and pick one each day. If you're looking for pre-made stuff, Lauri makes a lot of different preschool kits for sorting, stacking, counting, letters, etc.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

zeoteoski I feel uncomfortable with your comment saying “I wouldn’t bother with just one child”. I think you’re trying to say don’t over think it.

Kmrotski, check out the website TeachingTwoAndThreeYearOlds. Your idea is great. If you can’t get around to making individual bins per day or maybe don’t have the space, consider one big bin with various items to chose from. The colors and sorting are great. Rice, beans, sand, beads, pompoms, are some examples of medium to “hide” things into or just play in. A shoe box or something larger like a large lasagne pan is good. Scooping that medium into cups is another use. Molding dough like play dough. Coloring with crayons, markers, paint. Offering paint with brushes or fingers for exploration. Shaving cream, food colored water, whipped cream, food colored ice. And don’t forget stickers! Letting him peel them off of the sheet and stick onto a blank page is lots of fun. Someone mentioned beading. It’s so impressive to see a young toddler bead. They may only chose one or two but they can do it “all by them self” (being supervised for choking of course). Consider adding a story that matches your theme that day. And maybe a song (spotify has preschool play lists). It’s all fun

Last edited by DreamInGreen; 05-20-2018 at 07:49 AM.
DreamInGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
Rice, beans, sand, beads, pompoms,......
Be careful with the beans; I had a child who thought they needed to go in the ear. He didn't push them in hard, so they didn't get stuck and I got them out easy. But that was the only time he got to play with beans! I don't want beans stuck in the ear.

Your child might be fine, my other one never really thought about putting stuff in his ears.

Some ideas:
Sorting buttons into ice cube trays
Wooden puzzles
Follower of Jesus Christ, blessed and cherished wife to the most wonderful man, and happy, stay-at-home mama to our precious Christmas gifts L (2012) and J (2014) and P (2017) our springtime blessing!
Blessedmama777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedmama777 View Post
Be careful with the beans; I had a child who thought they needed to go in the ear. He didn't push them in hard, so they didn't get stuck and I got them out easy. But that was the only time he got to play with beans! I don't want beans stuck in the ear.

Your child might be fine, my other one never really thought about putting stuff in his ears.

Some ideas:
Sorting buttons into ice cube trays
Wooden puzzles
Oh dear! Indeed, supervision is critical
Old 05-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
zeoteoski I feel uncomfortable with your comment saying “I wouldn’t bother with just one child”. I think you’re trying to say don’t over think it.
No, I wasn't saying "I wouldn't bother with just one child," I was saying I wouldn't bother making separate daily bins with just one child. Same as what you said just below it.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
No, I wasn't saying "I wouldn't bother with just one child," I was saying I wouldn't bother making separate daily bins with just one child. Same as what you said just below it.
Got it zeo, thanks for clarifying
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone done Bob books for reading? They have a set called the pre-reader collection which says it's for age 2 and up. I don't know if 2 yr olds can really learn letters, but half the books are about shapes and patterns and sorting. I've only read reviews of them, so I have no idea if they're really appropriate for that age, but they aren't that expensive, so it might give you something to work from. Anyone else have experience with them?

We've been working on colors, counting, and shapes just around the house (not as a focused learning time).

You probably already know this but I just learned there is such a thing as washable crayons. They. Are. Awesome. They wash right off of floors, windows, walls, tables, clothes... Ask me how I know. I've done it all. I hid all other crayons and he's only getting washable until he's 14.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote