Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I need help and have a few questions...

first some back story. I have IGT due to breast hypoplasia. I have tried to nurse my oldest 2, but was never successful long term. With kate I didnt know I had IGT and didnt know what i could do to improve my supply so I only lasted a short time...with kara I researched / read LOTS before her birth and knew what supplements to take, how often to pump, what to watch for to make sure she was getting enough etc...

I was only producing about 2-3oz day with kara while on fenugreek seed, alfalfa, and eating tons of oatmeal. I was drinking tons of water and pumping every 2 hours. I would weigh her before and after each nursing session session (medical baby scale) and she would usually gain 1/10th of an ounce, if anything. Once she gained 1/2oz and I was THRILLED . She nursed for 20 minutes per side usually . When I pumped and poured what I got from each side into one collection container...it would rarely ever cover the bottom of the container. I was using a medela double electric I rented from the hospital. I added dom and got to 4oz a day, roughly. I was taking the highest dose my midwife thought was safe (I dont remember exactly the doseage).

With both pregnancies / nursing I never had any breast change. no growth, no fullness, no leaking, never engorged or hard, never able to hand express anything except ocasionally I was able to squeeze out 1 drop on my right side.

This time around I am more hopefull than ever. I have been taking some herbal supplements while pregnant per my midwifes instructions (fenugreek seed, alfalfa, red clover, RRL, and nettle). In a few weeks I will add goats rue, but my midwife wants me to hold off until I am farther along. So far I have had some significant breast change on my left side (nothing on my right). It is fuller (hypoplastic breasts tend to not be very full at all and odly shaped) and has gone up about 1/2 a cup size! I veen saw a drop of colostrum one day about a week abo while getting into the shower!

So now on to the questions:

how much more effective is dom vs reglan? I can get a script for reglan that wont cost much, but I realize its not as effective. i will be getting IV reglan in the hospital immediately after birth. I just cant wrap my mind around paying $$ for dom AND then $$ for formula because even on dom I wont ever have a full supply and will likely need to supplement significantly.

any other supplemets you can think of to add that may help?

are there any other sites besides milkshare where I can possibly get donated milk? we cant pay a few dollars an ounce to purchas it outright...just dont have the money. I have asked on there and have one momma who is due any day and she said she will donate what she can (she is local) but that during her last pregnancy she didnt have too much overage. Anything would be helpful though, so I dont care if its only a few ounces!

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!

Last edited by BNC; 12-14-2010 at 10:10 PM.
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
mama0609
Banned
seller

Re: I need help and have a few questions...

I'm going to address just one thing right now because I'm on the way to bed...

Reglan has been blacklisted. PLEASE reconsider taking it. It's dangerous! There are multiple lawsuits going on because of damages from it... The cost of domperidone is worth so much more than the reglan and it's potential to have horrible side effects.

Oh and check out 'Eats on Feets' on Facebook... I found 2 donors in one day, over 1500 oz for my DS2 (who is lightly supplemented at the breast).
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow you are working so hard at this!

I thought you couldn't take fenugreek while preggo though... there was a warning on the bottle I had.

I have never used Reglan or dom. Best of luck to you!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Reglan has HORRIBLE side effects. HORRIBLE..... Depression is a TOP side effect.....

I'd stay with the DOM. Also - get some More Milk Special Blend. It's for mama's who didn't have breast change during pregnancy.

Check out Facebook - Eats On Feets. Each state has their own chapter. We are currently getting donor milk for supplementation from a mama we met through eats on feets. It's just like milkshare - only on FB. AWESOME organization!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wasnt aware that reglan was an issue. The midwives at my practice had offered it at birth with kara, but I declined. I ASSumed they would be ok with it now, but now knowing that it is dangerous - probably not.

There are various studies on fenugreek seed while pregnant. It is a mild uterine stimulant, much like RRL. after researching I decided it was worth it to take in moderation because I have no history of preterm labor.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yes be very wary of reglan im surprised they still offer it.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I took Reglan during my pregnancy with DD (for 24 hour morning sickness) and again to increase supply while breastfeeding her. It is a horrible, horrible medication and I will never take it again for any reason.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
bedheadmaestro
Registered Users
seller

it works differently for everyone, but for me, treating my IGT with domperidone wasn't really worth the expense, customs hassle, and side effects. Dom just makes the milk glands you have work harder...but if you don't have very many glands to begin with, you will only see a negligible increase. For example, before dom, I could pump 1 oz per session combined. At the maximum dosage of domperidone, I was getting 1.5-2 oz. And I was gaining 1-2 lbs per week. For some people it might be worth it, but I switched to using only goat's rue and got 2.5 or even 3 oz per session (Egads!). After starting goat's rue, I even leaked a few times, which didn't happen on dom. Goat's rue is effective for IGT because it builds glands and ducts (so I was told and keep hearing). You can get a 8 oz bottle of the Motherlove brand at Lucky Vitamin, and it lasts a really long time for relatively cheap. I also know of women who need to use it long term (years) learning how to make their own goat's rue tinctures for even cheaper. Tincture form is way cheaper than the pills.

I also hear the herb shatavari plus goat's rue is an effective combination, and shatavari can be taken in pregnancy. I would also recommend getting a Lact-Aid to supplement at the breast to get your supply to the max. Good luck!

ETA: I was also prescribed Reglan in the beginning and it was useless, and made me very careless and despondent.

Last edited by bedheadmaestro; 12-16-2010 at 05:35 PM.
bedheadmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
mama0609
Banned
seller

i take shatavari 5 days on, 2 days off (because it can inhibit letdown)... it seems to help greatly!
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote