Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Chickymom
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to become a lactation consultant?

Does anyone know how you become a lactation consultant? I would love to become one, but I have no idea the steps you need to take, training, etc.

Advertisement

Chickymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
chasing blue
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to become a lactation consultant?

I would look into CLC (certified lactation counselor) first. It's a good first step. Also contact the IBLCLCs at your local hospital. I know you don't have to be a nurse first but it's preferred to get a job at a hospital.

I'm a breastfeeding peer helper for my county's WIC program and I've learned a lot through it and they will be paying for my CLC training soon. That might be another great stepping stone too.
chasing blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
viersmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing blue View Post
I would look into CLC (certified lactation counselor) first. It's a good first step. Also contact the IBLCLCs at your local hospital. I know you don't have to be a nurse first but it's preferred to get a job at a hospital.

I'm a breastfeeding peer helper for my county's WIC program and I've learned a lot through it and they will be paying for my CLC training soon. That might be another great stepping stone too.
is what I was going to say. I am also a peer couselor through WIC. last october they paid me to go to a week long conference to become a CLC. The classes were awesome! The ladies teaching it have all kinds of information and can help you continue on from there

Here is a link to the CLC training program. http://www.healthychildren.cc/ there is a link to the flyer with the schedule of fall classes on there

fighting breast cancer since 8/2010- recently found out it has metastasized to lungs, spine, ribs, femurs, hips, liver and brain
viersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try this site:
http://americas.iblce.org/

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
MsRachel
Registered Users

You can contact your local hospital or pediatric care center. Also my friend is a RN, and she has told me that there are side programs you can take for a nominal one time fee. If all else fails, google it :0
MsRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dandy View Post
IBLCE will have all the answers you need (though their site can be a bit intimidating and hard to navigate). In a nutshell, you need to accrue three types of pre-requisites to sit the exam to become a board certified LC: contact (practical) hours, education, and CERPs (continuing education recognition points). Most people take pathways 1 or 2 – 1 being for LLL Leaders and WIC counselors primarily, and 2 being for doctors and nurses. Very few colleges offer degree programs in human lactation, which is what pathway 3 calls for.

In 2012 the exam requirements are changing, doubling the number of CERPs needed, and making certain college level classes a must. Many LCs take several years to accrue all their pre-reqs, so it's good that you're looking into this now.

ETA: CLC is a good place to start, but if you're looking to do this as a career, IBCLC is the gold standard, and the only credential that will get you employment in a hospital (though not all hospitals are open to the idea of hiring non-RN LCs, but that's another story...).
Good luck to you!

Last edited by musicalisa; 12-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote