Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! I'm so desperate I'm researching formulas...

I would go to the kellymom.com forums and ask. The IBCLC's are very helpful. Getting 2 ounces per nursing session is normal, unfortunately. Also, the general rule of thumb is a baby needs about 1 ounce per hour he is away from you--20 ounces is a lot. My ds never received more than 4 or 5 ounces in his bottle, and would eat about 10 ounces during the 9 hours I was gone. He was also a huge baby and weighed about 22 lbs at 6 months old!

My AF returned at 4 months PP, exactly 4 weeks after I returned to work. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement everyday to keep my supply from dropping during AF. I have also used powdered Metamucil with success.

Good luck, and check your pump membranes!

Advertisement

Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When your LO is away from you, are solids offered before the bm? When my DS was that age, it helped me a lot for him to get his solids for the day at daycare and then nurse more at home. (He got down to drinking 12 oz of bm at daycare + eating solids and sometimes drinking a little water or juice.) I did leave one can of formula at daycare as an emergency backup, and I think he had 2 bottles of it EVER, but knowing he wouldn't starve made me less stressed and able to pump more.

You can still nurse at home whether you are able to keep pumping or not. I stopped pumping shortly after DS's 1st birthday, but he still nurses before bed and sometimes during the day on weekend (now 15 months old).

Changing the membranes and tubes on my PISA helped too.

Good luck!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

some great moms have given ya some great advise... I also just want to add... if things just go so wrong but u still want to give him breastmilk... LOOK in to www.eatsonfeets.com and look up your local chapter. (( hugs darlin )) hang in there
Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #14
lbaylay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I see you posted this a while ago, so I’m hoping that some of this advice helped you. But if you had to switch to formula for daytime, it’s not the end of the world.  I hope you have been able to nurse in the a.m./p.m. when not at work. That’s what I plan to do in a month or so. But I did want to say, my medela pump wasn’t giving any suction and I was so worried, until I looked at the little white membranes and saw there was a tear in each one!! So of course there wouldn’t be any suction. But once I replaced them, my supply went up a bit. I don’t get nearly as much from my pumps now as when DD was younger, but I think that’s because she just doesn’t drink as much. Even on weekends. Hope you and DS are doing well!
lbaylay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
DariBaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama0609 View Post
Domperidone has very low risk of side effects... headache is it's number one side effect.. Many moms take full dosing at 160mg a day for their entire nursing relationship with no ill effects. Maybe you have it confused with Reglan which DOES have side effects...

I've not met anyone that doesn't get SOME effect from domperidone. It works differently for everyone but in every person I've known to use it, it works exactly like they need it to.
No, actually, I am not confusing it. Domperidone has a risk of breast cancer. As I mentioned - long term, that is, much longer time-span than a headache.
DariBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I found this. pretty much has been proven on humans
http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml

Are there long term concerns about the use of domperidone?
The manufacturer states in its literature that chronic treatment with domperidone in rodents has resulted in increased numbers of breast tumours in the rodents. The literature goes on to state that this has never been documented in humans. Note that toxicity studies of medication usually require treatment with huge doses over periods of time involving most or all of the animal's lifetime. Note also that not breastfeeding increases the risk of breast cancer, and breast cancer risk decreases the longer you breastfeed.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not give him cereals, they suck lol. Use your breastmilk freezer stash and when it is finish then you can think of other alternatives.

It is okay if you are not responding to the pump now, you will once you start again.
Try to do it every 2 or 3 hours at work for 20 mins.
Nurse on demand when you are with the baby. And to keep adding to your freezer stash pump one breast while he is nursing from the other.
Pump also when you get up in the morning if your baby is still sleeping.

Relax, relax, relax. That is very important when pumping. Read a magazine, look at pics of the baby, come here, anything that relaxes you except looking at the clock and the bottles.

As a last resort buy Domperidone and take 3 pills 3 times a day.
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote