Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
tashaturservice
Registered Users

IGT and extended breastfeeding

I suspect that I have IGT, whether that is the case or not, I have never had a full supply, even with the use of a variety of different supplements. My DD is coming up on a year and I want to continue breast feeding her. Does anybody have experience with a low milk supply and extended breastfeeding? How has it worked for you? Thank you.

Advertisement

tashaturservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: IGT and extended breastfeeding

I never really had a low milk supply but I did nurse through a pregnancy where my milk completely dried up for several weeks (about 20). Toddlers often nurse as much for comfort as for nutrition though so it is very possible to continue letting her nurse even if you do have a low supply.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
MamaBird06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i too have suspected IGT and had to supplement my ds about 50%, it didn't stop me from continuing breastfeeding, i probably breastfed longer because i felt bad i couldn't give him 100% from the beginning, but i had no problems and we finally stopped completely when ds was 28 months. I was ready at 2 years, but ds was reluctant and i gave it some more time, there is no reason to stop, and it is actually more relieving when they eat more solids/water/milk and less formula at least it was for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have IGT...I don't think....but I had lots of supply problems with my first. He got about 50% of his feedings from formula/bottle and only nursed twice a day as an infant. Once he turned a year old, I continued domperidone, stopped pumping at work and just pumped morning after feeding and night after bedtime, and he nursed at least 3 if not 6 times/day. It was as much a comfort thing for him as it was a milk thing. I have no doubt he got *some* milk at those feedings, but mostly it was the suckling and the closeness. He nursed until 22mos.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote