Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

So frustrated...is BFing hard for everyone?

*Sigh* Sometimes I just want to give this up and try formula. Breastfeeding has been one of the hardest things I've done with both DS1 and DS3. With my first son, he wouldn't latch on in the beginning and I was pumping and dealing with extreme engorgement. Finally I didn't care anymore about correct positioning--I just wanted him to eat and so he did and everything was fine. That is, until I developed thrush on my nipples. That was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It lasted awhile, but I went on to BF for 14 months and night nursed my son about 8 times a night for an entire year.

So now with my new son I was hoping it'd be easier. And it was at first--he latched on fairly well. But then I became extremely engorged again and wasn't able to get much out by pumping at first. Latching him on was so hard after that. So painful. I was miserable that first week or two. But finally the milk went down a bit and things were fine. Now at 6 weeks, my nipples STILL hurt when he latches on--sometimes it hurts throughout the feeding and other times it stops. I sometimes have shooting pain in my breasts. My baby gets super fussy during feedings and has dark green poo--probably a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance due to my oversupply--which also causes him to choke and spit up a lot and when it comes out his nose he has so much mucus in there in the middle of the night that we're up every night suctioning it out. He gets very gassy and it seems like he's always in pain during feedings. I've been block feeding for awhile, but the poo is still green and he's still fussy. And I'm so miserable because of the pain I'm in. I just want to give up! Or at least supplement once in awhile....well anyways, this was mainly just a vent and a cry out for some encouragement. Thanks for listening.

Advertisement

*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So frustrated...is BFing hard for everyone?

Man I hear ya mama!!! What a roller coaster ride! I had major problems with my DS that I thought would never end and I was very exhausted and in pain!! You are doing an amazing job! Keep it up! It's not easy...hang in there and don't give up! Every time you go to nurse just take a deep breath and look at your lo and relax. I hope it gets better for you!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
chippybug10
Registered Users

Totally agree with pp! It's incredibly difficult and challenging, but it's definitely worth it in the end to know you exclusively nourished your child. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama View Post
Man I hear ya mama!!! What a roller coaster ride! I had major problems with my DS that I thought would never end and I was very exhausted and in pain!! You are doing an amazing job! Keep it up! It's not easy...hang in there and don't give up! Every time you go to nurse just take a deep breath and look at your lo and relax. I hope it gets better for you!
Totally agree! Great job mama just hang in there! At some point just about everything seems trying..just look at your ds and know you are doing what is best for him! And congratulations!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not easy for everyone. I don't even think it is easy for most. I've had a very tough time with all of mine. I've dealt with recurring yeast which went undiagnosed for a 2 of my nursing experiences, mastitis, low supply, over supply, preemies, bad latches, exclusively pumping and two sets of twins. It is hard, but I am determined and I do keep going. I'm on my 2nd set of twins, 3rd nursing experience. They are 8 months. Things have been far from perfect, but overall, it has been much better than in the past. Don't lose hope. My motto is, "Just keep going...at least till tomorrow." I used to say that everyday. You are doing great!

The pain you are describing sounds exactly like how my yeast presents. If someone is prone to yeast, they will tend to have reassurances. I think you have it again. The shooting pains means it is in your milk ducts. I hope you get it resolved quickly and easily.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

I used to say the same thing! DS is 7 month old now and we are just now to a point where he latches OK most of the time and my nipples are finally "broke in" and don't hurt anymore! LOL That is until AF comes around then all bets are off that week!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
ba.merritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, you are not alone. I came here this morning because i woke up and thought i cant take this any longer. My son was SO easy to breastfeed but now my daughter is 5 weeks old. These last 5 weeks have been the most frustrating and painful EVER. i'm getting over mastitis now for the 2nd time but only to be told i have thrush as well. She has the HARDEST time latching and i feel like i cry everyday over breastfeeding. I'm just SO over it, but i cant throw the towel in even though i want to. I just dont know what to do! I know i cant offer any advice just know you're not the only one feeling this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
The pain you are describing sounds exactly like how my yeast presents. If someone is prone to yeast, they will tend to have reassurances. I think you have it again. The shooting pains means it is in your milk ducts. I hope you get it resolved quickly and easily.
Do you have to do anything differently if it is in your ducts? I have cream i put on my nipples and i'm taking acidiphilus but i didnt know if i needed to go to the dr if its in my ducts. Because i have THE WORST shooting deep pain in my breast and i think i've had thrush for awhile and didnt know it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
mommyof3armywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honey you are not alone, my first one was very very hard it took us 3 months to get it together.

My 2nd and 3rd were wonderful they were both girls I have no idea if it makes a difference but it did for us.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I had this pump with all 3 kids, it was worth it's weight in gold. Yes is it only 60$ but I am telling you I used to pump 5-10ozs at one sitting and then nurse the first two. I only had to do it for about 1-3 months a little less with the 2nd until my body meet the kids demands and not the armys.

With my 3rd my body had a harder time making milk at all and I had to do everything to get it to keep up, but I nursed DD for a day or 2 shy of 14 months. Troy my first was 10 he took himself off and never looked back. Naomi 2nd was 8 months becaues of my own medical issuses and then Aimee.

You can do it honey don't give it.
mommyof3armywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba.merritt View Post
Mama, you are not alone. I came here this morning because i woke up and thought i cant take this any longer. My son was SO easy to breastfeed but now my daughter is 5 weeks old. These last 5 weeks have been the most frustrating and painful EVER. i'm getting over mastitis now for the 2nd time but only to be told i have thrush as well. She has the HARDEST time latching and i feel like i cry everyday over breastfeeding. I'm just SO over it, but i cant throw the towel in even though i want to. I just dont know what to do! I know i cant offer any advice just know you're not the only one feeling this way.

Do you have to do anything differently if it is in your ducts? I have cream i put on my nipples and i'm taking acidiphilus but i didnt know if i needed to go to the dr if its in my ducts. Because i have THE WORST shooting deep pain in my breast and i think i've had thrush for awhile and didnt know it.
My IBLC said that mastitis can be triggered by yeast. That is another symptom of mine. I have recurrent mastitis too. I want to encourage you that you are doing great nursing even though it hurts. Believe me, I know what that is like. I nursed my first through yeast for 6 months without knowing that was what was causing the pain. I saw 2 different OB's and 3 different LC's. The OB declared that it wasn't yeast. (Long story, but his logic was totally flawed. I knew it, but didn't know what to do except to believe him.) I stopped nursing at 6 months and pumped exclusively for 4 months when I finally lost my supply. Then, I had it again with my first set of twins. Again, I was not properly treated even though I saw 2 different OB's (different from the above) and 2 LC's. I finally decided something was just wrong with me. I nursed through the pain and often through tears for 14 months. With this set of twins, I had learned more and was determined to find the cause of the pain. I sought an outside IBCLC (outside the hospital and outside the ped's office). She was wonderful. After hearing my story, it was very clear to her that it was in fact yeast I have been fighting all this time. It makes total sense and relaying it all to her, I felt silly that I was even questioning that it was yeast. Luckily, I have a different and absolutely wonderful OB now and a much more open ped also. I have been properly treated. Unfortunately, I am prone to it and I've had some recurrences. I haven't had time to get treated again. So, my pain ebs and flows in intensity, but taking my probiotics really helps. Anyway, that is my story. You are not alone in not knowing about it. And, I know the toe-curling pain that causes tears with every nursing session and makes you want to run when baby wants to nurse.

Here is a link to some great info: (Yeast is Candida)

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Dr. Newman's site is an amazing resource.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-16-2010 at 11:28 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I have issues with recurring mastitis and recurring thrush for the past 2 LOs now I've had this. My DD I had thrush but didn't know what it was. Oh man, my nipples burned and itched all the time! Inursed her for 13 mos through the teeth-grinding pain. I had 3 bouts of mastitis while nursing her.

W/DS, I had mild thrush that went away with probiotics, but then we had multiple mastitis encounters. I managed to nurse him until I became pregnant again at 23 months PP. The thrush being mild or gone made such a HUGE difference.

and more

I had no support with BFing with either LO. I know what it is like to feel at the end of your rope and just totally burnt out. What helped me was taking it one feeding at a time. Not one day at a time, b/c a day is SO long, SO huge when you are in that place. Just take each feeding as it comes. Make it through one feeding at a time.

As far as the engorgement and oversupply, I found that w/DD I had MASSIVE oversupply - exactly as you are describing. And she HATED nursing as a result. W/DS, we coslept, and it made a big difference. I would have thought having him near me all night would make the produciton worse, but it actually made it better. I used a pacifier for him (even starting early), and at night when he tossed, I'd offer the paci. If the paci didn't soothe him, he got to nurse. And I never had any engorgement at all. I don't know if that is an option for you to try, but maybe it could help? Just ideas.

Hang in there.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote