Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
ckemp17
Registered Users

Mucus poops & bottle-to-breast with a preemie

BG: D's 6 weeks old, born early at 32 weeks. He was in the NICU for almost 6 weeks, and just came home Monday, 10/29. During his time there, I concentrated on pumping/bottle feeding so we could make the docs happy and get him home sooner, where I could then start introducing the breast and feeding on demand.

Current Issue:

D's been having some really mucusy poops and increased gassiness/discomfort the past 1-2 days. Research tells me it's likely a milk-protein sensitivity, which would normally mean cutting out dairy from my diet.

BUT... this only started after we came home and I introduced the breast. Another possible cause could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Not an actual imbalance, but a situational one since I'm putting him to breast first, then finishing with the bottle. It's possible that he's getting tuckered out before getting the good hindmilk, leading to the 'imbalance'. I try to pump for a bit before putting him to breast, but it's hard to sit there pumping while he's fussing away, just wanting to eat. No early signs of hunger to alert me it's time to start pumping in preparation for him waking up. He goes from sleeping-fussy/hungry in about 30 seconds flat.

I was thinking maybe I could give him a little in the bottle while I pump some, to take the edge off his hunger and pull the foremilk off my breast, THEN put him to breast? Does that sound like it might work?

Any other ideas?
ckemp17 is offline   Reply With Quote