Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
paulwhit
Registered Users
seller

Re: New to breastfeeding...Tips?

Lots of great advice above. My only addition is: don't be afraid of nursing in public. If you have nursing shirts and a scarf, lots of times people don't even notice, and those who do, don't care OR are supportive. I was so nervous at first with my 1st LO and realizing it's not a big deal was so freeing (both mentally and in terms of where I could go with him). Just go for it!

Advertisement

paulwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Make sure to have lactation consultant and pediatrician look for latch issues/ tongue or lip tie. Lots of babies have them. Mine had a posterior tongue and lip tie. It felt like knives were poking me when she first latched. I told the lactation consultant that I thought she had one. She looked and didn't see it. My baby had a nice deep latch but sucked funny so it hurt. My ped caught it right away and we had it corrected the next visit. Also this sounds weird but toughen your nipples up. You can roll them around or have hubby help you. My mom gave me that advice and it never hurt nursing my first one.
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
nanamamma
Registered Users

Make sure you have breastfeeding support ready to go if you have problems! I had six lactation consultant visits, and I could have not made it without that help. Also, I second what previous posters have said about pushing through those early weeks. It was uncomfortable for about a month for me, but it got so much better! eight months in, and it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all (until teething baby nibbles).
nanamamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the other comments, great suggestions.
kellymom.com was a great resource for me. I liked having hot pads available, they helped with clogged ducts and mastitis, and with milk production.
For me a baby scale helped, I had to transition my son from bottles I had pumped (had eating issues when he was born) to the breast and I was afraid he wasn't getting enough since he was always crying. I didn't really go by the weight before and after, but it reassured me that he was gaining the weight he needed each day. But I don't think a baby scale is necessary for most people. I was lucky to borrow one from a friend.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhit View Post
Lots of great advice above. My only addition is: don't be afraid of nursing in public. If you have nursing shirts and a scarf, lots of times people don't even notice, and those who do, don't care OR are supportive. I was so nervous at first with my 1st LO and realizing it's not a big deal was so freeing (both mentally and in terms of where I could go with him). Just go for it!
Very true. This helped me breastfeed much longer with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th kids. I felt so tied to the house with my first because I didn't want to breastfeed in public. Now with number four I can't because he's too distracted! So frustrating.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
Smy42
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalicia View Post
Be patient and give it time.
Yes, definitely! I cried the first week just because of the frustration and pain but then one day it stopped hurting! It definitely gets easier after engorgement. Oh I also had the lactation consultant at my hospital prescribe a hospital grade pump for me to use when my nipples got too painful. It helped give me time to heal. Be sure to take it easy on yourself and try not to stress about it to much! A meal or two on formula never hurt anyone.
Smy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #17
Luluortiz1998
Registered Users

Amazing post thanks
Luluortiz1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
greenacres
Registered Users
seller

Contact your local Le Leche League. They are wonderful and so,so helpful! Going to meetings and nursing my son helped me get more comfortable about nursing in public. Even if you can't make it to a meeting, connect with your local chapter thru Facebook. You can ask questions and usually get a quick answer from a leader.

My favorite go to website for breastfeeding questions is KellyMom.com Googling a BFing question can sometimes direct you to wrong or scary conclusions..

If it's hurting to the point of tears, ask your Dr.,LLL leader, or a another trusted/experienced person. I was having severe pain with my son at first, but I thought it was just the normal beginner's soreness I kept reading about. Turns out, he had a severe tongue tie and I was having Vasospasms.

Last, stick with it! You CAN do it!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
hopeworks
Registered Users
seller

Mine is to have faith in yourself. I had people from my family suggesting to give my baby "real food" (when my LO was less than 6 months) as they thought giving "just" breast milk was not enough. I did not know better & I thought if I gave my baby "real food", he would feel satisfied. However, I strongly felt like my baby was not ready for anything else. He got highly constipated after we put him on "real food" - this was right when he turned 6 months.

However, with my second child, I just listened to my child and my body.
hopeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #20
stipmom
Registered Users

If it is any help to you I tried to nurse my first child and I only lasted about a week. She was screaming for food and I was a tired first time mom so I gave her a bottle, she stopped crying and unfortunately she wouldn't latch back on for me. I am sure if I worked harder at it she would have.

My second and third baby I had no issues with. I am currently nursing my 4 month old baby. My advise is mostly the same as above, every experience is different, but don't give up. In the beginning, at least for me, it was cracked nipples and what felt like constant feedings, that passed and I wouldn't change it for the world. I would suggest some sort of nipple cream, lots of water, charged phone, IPad, or I was netflix to pass the time. My babies seem to like to sleep and eat. Or now when I look at my son he smiles and unlatches.

Good Luck and make sure to get a good support system.
stipmom is offline   Reply With Quote