Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #21
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Okay, pp have covered the whole overweight thing...I just have to say that 50% percentile and "normal" are not the same thing! 50% percentile and average can be the same things, but "normal" is actually the entire range of the population - the curve that the percentiles come from is call the a "normal distribution". So if you child falls anywhere between 1-99, then they are, by definition, "normal". I was always at the bottom end of this w/ my kids - they would be in the 3rd/5th percentiles and people would always act like that was so awful, and that their 90th percentile baby was "better" or "healthier" than mine. In order for their to even be a 3rd percentile, SOMEONE has to be there! As long as your child looks proportional and is meeting all their milestones, he's fine!
I am glad that you put it like that .. all of the ladies on here are right... as long as they are healthy.. at whatever weight they are then there is no problem.. we are all not 5'7"... and such and such pounds... I KNOW that my son isnt fat.. he is breastfed... and that is all he eats!!! NOt like I am letting him eat a big mac for breakfast. IT just caught me off guard when I was happy that he was on the higher side.. ( bc I thought they had to be 50% or over ) that he was doing great. But you are soooo right.. even if he was in the 3%.. that still means he is on the chart..and perfectly healthy..
I am not worried that he will be fat or skinny.. bc I am a boney person .. but eat VERY healthy..and dh is average... and eats healthy when I make him ... so I think william will be good to go

Thanks for all the input!!

Advertisement

mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, I'd be livid! My babies are both BIG- 90th- off the charts (DS 3.5 mo is about 18.5 lbs). I get sooo sick of hearing how HUGE they are & how my DH must be 7 ft tall (I'm pretty small). I'm darned proud they're big, but people can be so rude about it. I agree w/what PPs said- and I really agree that it's so sad for the mommy who has no support to be told her baby is overweight & not know any better
Old 02-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
tatertots
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The curve is just to keep track of how your babies are doing, to keep track and to make sure they stay in the same curve and to make sure there is not a huge change somewhere later in their development.
Eli has and will most likely stay on the same curve. He has always been in the low 5th percentile for his weight, and the 95th percentile for his height. He is and will be very tall and skinny his whole life.
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #24
A'smommy
Registered Users

Glad to see you got lots of input OP. Sounds like your kiddo is perfectly healthy.

Weight is such a hot-button issue right now in this country...even my mom said just this weekend how much my DD had "thinned out." She was 95th and 98th percentile for height and weight, respectively, but she was BFed too! Have you seen the BFed-baby growth charts at www.kellymom.com? If not you should check 'em out. Those charts are very different from the older ones that the doctors' offices usually use, showing how BFed babes gain more, faster.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #25
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post
Glad to see you got lots of input OP. Sounds like your kiddo is perfectly healthy.

Weight is such a hot-button issue right now in this country...even my mom said just this weekend how much my DD had "thinned out." She was 95th and 98th percentile for height and weight, respectively, but she was BFed too! Have you seen the BFed-baby growth charts at www.kellymom.com? If not you should check 'em out. Those charts are very different from the older ones that the doctors' offices usually use, showing how BFed babes gain more, faster.
Thanks!! I never seen that chart!! I am going check it out!
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:12 AM   #26
LambyPants
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I completely disregard the chart, unless it is showing something that could be seriously wrong. Like when my preemie's (six now) head circumference started dropping on the chart. We were worried then, but for chunk, who cares?!! When I was a younger mom, I lived by those medical boxes, and freaked when my now 10 year old was wearing a 2t when he was 10 months old. Yeah he was a super chunk, but if Apollo did that now, I wouldn't let the doc put him on a strict diet like I did Booker. Poor kid starved half the day just so he could fit in their box
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #27
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

We just went for our checkup and my daughter has been a very slow grower so I asked what percentile she was. The doc told me that doens't matter so long as they are on a good growth curve. She said they don't go by the percentile, just use it more as a tool to watch the growth pattern. Anyway, I peaked and the babe is around 25% but is on a good growth pattern. My ds was always at like the 95% and he is now nearly 12 and perfectly average ~ not too tall and not chunky. My preemie daughter (now 4 1/2) is now at the 75% for weight and 90% for height. I think so long as they are on a good growing curve that's all that really matters.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #28
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't listen to her.

DD was on the edge of the charts from birth, and is now off the charts (and has been for a while) for height and weight. Her daddy is 6'4". It's not a huge surprise to us. Her doctor is not concerned. It would take some gross negligence from a parent to make a young child overweight since they usually do not understand eating as a recreation. As long as your child is consistent in growth, that's all that matters.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #29
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoiceSoaps View Post
I am completely shocked that someone would give medical advice and clearly doesn't even understand basic statistics. I can only assume that this was not the dr but someone who works there? I would seriously consider mentioning it to the dr. I would hate for another mother who doesn't know better to limit her baby's intake because they are "overweight".
While I am not shocked that you were given bad medical advice (I hear about that happening too often to be shocked by it anymore.) you really need to let that nurses' superiors know what rotten information she is giving out.
It never ceases to amaze me that many people in the medical field would rather give out wrong information than admit they don't know and go find someone that does know.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #30
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
When my DS were 0-6 months, they were way up there, like 95th percentile. After they both started crawling, boy did they go down in weight, but their height stayed up there. I would not listen to that woman.

My boys have all been the same way; Logan's hovered around 98-99% since our 2-week checkup. The older boys thinned down when they started crawling, and Logan's finally starting to do the same (though it's from rolling).

Ridiculous charts...
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote