Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #31
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

yeah the % are what's normal for the gen pop... but i think they need to update b/c when i look around i see my ds (who's always been off the charts - my 3 yo) & look at other kids & think "what do they eat mcd's & play video games all day?"

ds is off the charts b/c he's 42 lbs & 42 in tall - bigger than the average 4 yo yet he is 3. the docs always try & tell me he's too tall or too fat. i'm like "too tall eh? what should i do?" everyone grows diff. i'm 5 ft 3 & dh is 6 ft 5... can't wrap that up in a box of "average" lol

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #32
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

just wanted to give you hugs mama for having an uninformed professional tell you that! My babies have all been in the 95 and 97% for weight and height and not one of them is overweight. They are actually extremely skinny now that they are older! LOL

Besides, those charts were made for formula fed babies and breastfed babies gain and grow differently than formula fed babies (or so they say).
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #33
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i just wanted to jump in as well....all my ds's are healthy and i have 2 that are SMALL and have always been (sometimes not even on the chart b/c they were so little) and now i have baby huey here LMBO! but no matter where they've been they've been proportioned height to weight just fine. that's what matters
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #34
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its not the % thats important, but that they are following the same curve pattern (like not going from being 5% to 97% or visa versa). 80th percentile means that your child is taller/weighs more than 80% of his/her peers & that 20% of children that age weigh more/are taller. It doesnt mean there is a problem, especially since height/weight are the same %. It means the childs growth is on target (not too short/fat, tall/skinny).
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #35
targhee
Registered Users

I think everything she said was absurd! You have to look at an individual. According to the BMI table my DD is morbidly obese, but just look at her and you know it isn't true. DS is on the 5th percentile for height (which worries me), but I know he's never going to be a harlem globe trotter when both parents are 5'6".

Even from a statistical standpoint the majority of people fall one standard diviation from the mean (50th percentile) - which (for a bell curve) means most everyone should (roughly) fit between the 20th and the 80th percentiles, with more fitting closer to the 50th than to the extremes. But that is just a statistic (a way of presenting real life values in a meaningful way) - it isn't a law. The growth charts can be a useful tool in gauging a child's growth, mostly to see if they are staying on a trend (ie they have stayed at about the same percentile without sudden drops or gains). It isn't to be used as a definitive evaluation for one point of data...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #36
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS2 is in 3rd percentile for weight and 18 for height, I think those charts are a big load of crap. I just happen to have little babies DS1 was the same way when he was a toddler.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #37
RodentRanger
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last edited by RodentRanger; 02-21-2008 at 08:09 PM.
RodentRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #38
marisal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, so don't ever look at a chart. My first Ped in Brooklyn was great about that and he never got a chart out, didn't care really. As long as DS was healthy and seemed happy than he was too. My son has never been on the chart at all for height, always way over and his weight is somewhere on there, above 50%, I think 75-80% but he's hugely tall so my doctor is happy that his weight is also above normal.
Charts are silly things to begin with and it's even sillier when people actually rely on them for some sort of accurate explanation of your child... without really considering the child!
Marisa
marisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #39
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's crazy!!
Ds is actually in the 50th for height, 90th for weight!!! he eats a lot, but I don't consider him fat by any means. And we are small, thin people, dh is 5'8" and 140lbs and I'm (normally, when not pregnant!) 5'4" and 120lbs. So I'm n or worried at all!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #40
jessicanov201
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
and that when a child gets to 95% for there weight then that is a problem that they are over weight??!!
this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. My son was 9 pounds 1 oune when born. he stayed in the 95% for height and weight the whole time. at 5 years old he is still in the 95% but he is not over weight. he is just solid. he wears a 5 6 jeans. so he is not over weight. so dont worry. oh and on the other end my DD was 9 pounds 9 ounces at birth and at 14 months is 20 pounds, 30%. and she is perfect. my ped has no complaints about either one. so as long as they are eating healthy they are fine. and i belive as long as they stay consistant. they are fine.

Last edited by jessicanov201; 02-23-2007 at 06:02 AM.
jessicanov201 is offline   Reply With Quote