Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #51
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: ABove the 50% babies.. what gives?

I HATE growth charts. They are stupid and inaccurate. They don't make them seperately for breastfed, partially breastfed, and formula fed babies, which I think makes a HUGE difference. On the "unisex-formula-fed" growth chart, my DD dropped WAY below the 50% line (she had been maintaining 80-90% before that) On the breastfed baby girl growth chart that I found online, DD was following the lines of growth perfectly.

If every kid stayed on the 50% line, they would have to change the growth charts, and then some kids that WERE on the 50% line would end up on the 5th% or 95%...I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else LOL. I think growth charts should just be tossed out

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #52
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

first of all... How RUDE~

sounds like you've got one healthy kiddo! DD #1 was in the 5th percentile (5 years old now 50th percentile at 34lbs), dd#2 (8months old at 19lbs!) is in the 80th percentile... our military drs used to stress me out about how dd#1 wasn't gaining enough and how small she was, etc... it LITERALLY made me every time we had a check up! She's healthy and fine. I swear if they are a little big or a little smaller, someone always has something to say!

Now we have a civilian ped that is wonderful and says both girls are as they should be. Happy and healthy!

now if I had a Maury Povich child, I would want someone to say something...
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #53
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They use the percentiles to keep track of growth, like others said. If the kid was always in the 70% for example, and then was in the 20%, they'd want to know why. My friend and her H are both over six feet tall - their baby is 16 months and is well over 30 lbs (maybe like 35) and wearing like 4T clothes b/c he's so tall. His height and weight aren't even onthe charts for his age! Now, my friend started solids early at four months and her baby was 50% for height and 90% for weight and their doc urged them to stop solids until she was more even. As long as they are roughly even, its all good. Their baby was too heavy for her height.

I do think babies/toddlers can weigh too much but I don't think that's super common.- I mean, I see alot of chubby babies and don't think they are overweight. There's a difference. That being said, Ethan is 80% for height and 85% for weight, so while he's a tall boy who weighs more than other babies his age, he's pretty much even w/ the percentiles so we're not worried.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #54
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My pedi never cares where they are in the charts as long as they basically stay in the same place on the charts. DD was in the 50th percentile until she turned 1 and then dropped to 25th. Pedi wasn't concerned about a one time drop (not unusual he said) and waited to see what happened at the next appointment. Well she has stayed in the 25th so he says she's probaby just going to be little like her Mommy.

And it won't matter where kids are at in the percentiles - someone is always going to comment about their size. DD was 'average' and people would say she's so tiny. She wasn't - she was normal. We have a nephew who was always in the 95th and people said he was huge (ok he was but that is another story).
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote