Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How does anybody run for years on min sleep and no time to yourself?

I feel like I've had it with my 2yo. I need more sleep!! Both of them go to bed at 8pm. We go to bed at 11pm. The baby wakes up around 4am, DH changes her and then I feed her. She goes back to sleep until around 8 or so, I'm fine with that schedule, really it's pretty good for a 4mo. But DD1 wakes up at 6am, today it was 5:45. Sometimes I get up with her, and DH will sleep in.

Then he thinks he's returning the favor when he gets up and lets me 'sleep', but he's not because she comes in to see me every 15 minutes since he sits on his computer or he puts tv on for her and sleeps on the couch, so i barely get back to sleep before she's back in. So basically I may as well get up as I'm not actually resting. She wakes up the baby as well.

During the day I maybe get 45mins when both of them are asleep, I work from home so i usually do at least some of it during this time. Between 9pm and 11pm is my relaxation time, my only chance to wind down and do something for myself, sexy times with DH, watch tv, or just do some sewing, baking, cleaning the house, whatever. I could go to bed earlier but then I would lose this time?

I just want her to sleep in later in the morning! Then all would be fine! But I'm not managing on 6 hours of broken sleep a night, I need more than that to function and when I'm tired I just resort to yelling. I have a constant cold and sore throat, and then DH will complain to me how he's got a cold etc, when I've said NOTHING about mine! This morning I told him that i do not want to hear about it, I don't CARE! I feel like if I maybe just had 1 day a week to recover, sleep in as late as I needed, then maybe it would be ok, but right now I feel hopeless. Somebody is always demanding my attention. I'm actually not even complaining about DH, he does a really good job, and I'm fully aware the only 'break' he gets is when he goes to work. I'm considering locking DDs bedroom door in the morning to keep her in there. I wish she could just play by herself when she wakes up.

I'm so sure I can't be the only person in this boat, but I just don't know how I can keep going like this? Is there hope? Please tell me there is...
Feeling slightly vented.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
funkymamajoy
Registered Users

Re: How does anybody run for years on min sleep and no time to yourself?

Can you go to bed any earlier?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My four blessings were born in 5 years and 2 months and looking back I have no idea how I handled all those years of exhaustion. I honestly don't! Just wanted to send big to you Mama!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
blessedw2pink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am running on the same if not less sleep. It sucks.

I have no advice.

And there is hope. Just the other night I slept from 12-7am. Best sleep ever! Too bad I am sick and I desperately needed it to feel human, but only barely human. If that could happen on a day I am not sick then something down below might freeze over.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about a mothers day out program? Would give you a little break, and your ODD would get lots and lots of exercise (more sleepy..maybe sleep in later?)

We did one for DS when we lived in TN...it was like $12 a day for 5 hr. He went twice a week.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If my two year old got up every morning around 6 am, I would go to bed by 9 or 10 at the latest so that I got enough sleep every day. This period will pass and you will be able to get back to going to bed later when the 2 year old is older.

If I were you, I would use the time from 8-9:30 for true relaxation. A bubble bath, read a book, a little nooky with dh, and then go to sleep. Stop sewing, cleaning, baking, etc. You can do that during the day. If you cannot get it done during the day during the week, do it on the weekend with your dh. Your babies are very young and the sewing and baking might have to be ditched for a while. I did not sew at all until recently and my kids are nearly 3 and 7. I only recently started baking again because I can trust that the 2.9 year old will stay away from me yet not get into vast amounts of trouble.

Clean with dh on the weekends.

And take some time for you at least once a month. Have your dh watch the kids while you do something fun with friends. And also take some time to get a babysitter and go out with your dh. These things will recharge you.

Last edited by delphinium; 06-05-2010 at 01:45 PM.
delphinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just dont let my kids out of their rooms until 7. They have learned. I leave books and puzzles in their rooms. They used to get up by 630. and now sometimes they arent even awake until 730.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLD View Post
I just dont let my kids out of their rooms until 7. They have learned. I leave books and puzzles in their rooms. They used to get up by 630. and now sometimes they arent even awake until 730.
We do this too.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I know a family that used to do this and one day the toddler climbed his dresser while they were sleeping. They woke up to a dead toddler. The dresser had fallen on him and crushed him. After I heard that, I never ever leave mine alone when I am sleeping. Ever.

And yes my large pieces of furniture are attached to the walls with earthquake cables but I still fear what they could get into when I am not looking. I don't even let my 7 year old be alone while I take a nap. Maybe when she is more like 10 I will trust that she will not do something dangerous or let a stranger into the house.

Last edited by delphinium; 06-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.
delphinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have tried this with her though, we sometimes even put the tv on for her, or we'll give her the iphone to play with in her room. It just doesn't last for very long. I get that she doesn't know what time it is, so she just gets up, and want to come see us. I can handle it if it's 7 or later, just the early starts (and not knowing when it will be) is killing me!

I do need to get to bed earlier, I just often feel like there is so much to do. It is half my problem really.

I don't know if I'm really looking for suggestions to be honest, I just sometimes feel like I need to vent. A lot of my friends are single, many of the moms I knew have now moved away, and my single friends will go on about how 'tired' they are, and sometimes I just want to punch them in the face. Lol.

But thanks, it does make me feel slightly better.