Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is my DS underweight? or am I paranoid?

my YDS is 21 mos...he will be 2 July 21st....he weighs 24lbs....and is about 33inches tall...this places him in he lower 10th percentile....now he was BF for 17 mos we introduced solids around 6 mos...he is very active and has his moments where he eats everthing in sight and others when he wont touch food...he doesnt drink a lot of milk, maybe 8 oz at the end of the day before bed, so I know hes not filling up...because my first was FF he gained weight at a different rate and somehow I remember him being bigger at this age....DH and I were just talking about how the baby seems SOOO much smaller than our oldest was at this age....is this normal or should I be concerned about his weight?

Advertisement

Last edited by n3w2cl0th; 06-05-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: poor spelling
n3w2cl0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
lovemyryguy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my DS underweight? or am I paranoid?

My DS is basically the same as yours. I'm not sure about his height, but he'll be 2 on July 27th and he's about 25lbs. He's always been around the 25th percentile for height and weight, so I'm not concerned. I did notice that for the past few months he really started to get taller, but not really gain weight. Suddenly his pants were too short and too big around the waist. DS was bf and although we introduced solids at 6 months, he didn't start eating them regularly until I got pregnant, when DS was about 14-15 months. He actually hasn't been to a well baby check since 12 months, but we changed pediatricians so we'll see what happens at his 2 year check. Ironically, everyone that asks how old he is always comments with "wow, he's a big boy for his age".
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is about the same age and height as your son, but a pound or so lighter. He was 85% for height and 15% for weight at his 18 month appointment and had only gained a pound from his 12 month appointment. His pediatrician was not at all concerned with his weight since his height curve is staying about the same.

He is a pain to find pants for though. Even his cloth booty won't keep most pants up.

Last edited by rosefall; 06-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All four of mine were light at that age. Of course their father is 6 foot 1...140 pounds and I am overweight right now at 110. As long as he is eating, poopy-ing , and hitting developmental milestones, I wouldn't be worried at all !
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok I feel better...thank you ladies....he is definetly on the tall side....his pants are always too short and the waist too large...and I have him in a large CD or a one size completely open because his rise is SO high...his brother is a string bean too...we just thought he seemed smaller than his brother was at this age...and sometimes I think it might be because my oldest is so much more aggresive than my youngest even when he was this age...my youngest is very laid back and quiet....while my oldest is a wild rambunctious child...lol...but thank you for making me feel better about his size! I was worried for a min there!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

He bigger than my 28mo, and her pediatrician insists that she is perfectly fine as well
I can understand the worry or concern though. My son was 20lbs well by 6 months I think, so if he had been older then our little girl second and so tiny, I would be worried. But she's just small and very active. I'm quite jealous of her metabolism! I'm sure your little guy is perfect
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

My DD is almost 27 months. She's 33 inches and weighs 23 lbs. We don't do growth charts so I have no idea where she would be but her pedi has had nothing to say about it.

Super active, eats realtively well (for a toddler). Overall healthy.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:

I think hes fine. Every child is different.
My 4 year old DD is only 28.5lbs and 38 inches tall.
My 9 month old DS is 21.5lbs
They are just different all together, ds loves food dd hates food, dd was more active at 9 months (walking) and ds is only crawling.

Hes fine mama. But I know how worrisome it can be...I was freaking for awhile because dd was/is so small.

ETA that my dd is off the charts, she doesn't even register on them because shes so tiny.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is that way. She turns 3 on the 26th of July. She is 28lbs & 38 inches
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD was the same way! she was always in the 10th %ile. She didnt even weigh 20 lbs until 21ish months. Now at almost 3 she weighs 28 lbs. He will grow!