View Poll Results: What age should kids start dating (one-on-one)
11 OR under 1 0.53%
12 1 0.53%
13 5 2.65%
14 16 8.47%
15 31 16.40%
16 81 42.86%
17 10 5.29%
18 23 12.17%
19 or older 5 2.65%
other 16 8.47%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #21
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: What Age for Dating

I voted before reading the one on one part-in a group it will be 15/16ish but one on one it will be older probably.
It also depends on the child-my 5 yr old is already boy crazy and I see major issues down the road (she has already had a pre-school 'boyfriend' and the teacher had to separate them for half the school year ). My three year old thinks she is a boy so I'm not near as worried about her
I went on my first alone date the week I turned 19 and that worked out pretty well so I'm leaning towards older lol!

Advertisement

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 06-06-2010 at 05:51 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #22
crunch!910
Registered Users

Doesn't matter gender. I would not allow any dating until 16. And when they do, they must pay for their own outings. Haha.. I wil not give my son money to take out a girl. HE must work and have a job to support his little pupppy loves.

I'd prefer they not even date at all in highschool. I'd prefer they wait until someone wants to court them - with the idea of marriage. BUT I also know that sometimes true, lasting, young love does happen. DH and I are proof of that. We met at 16, and although my mother had a no dating law, we found a way. And if my child meets someone, I'd rather be abel to supervise and influence the relationship in a positive way, rather than always degrading it or not even knowing about it because they hide it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #23
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I said 15 but really only if the other person is 16 and driving. I may change my mind but right now I'd say when the boy has a car to pick the girl up.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
tobie9
Registered Users

We are dealing with this now as DSS (14) has his first "girlfriend." They are mostly FB friends, but he does ride his bike downtown to meet her and her friends, hang out at the pizza place, swim at the park, etc. I think he is a little young/immature for a girlfriend right now, but also feel like saying a flat "no" to this would cause a rift between him and us, and would make him seek other ways to pursue this relationship. I prefer allowing it - this gives us the opportunity to keep an open conversation about it, monitor their relationship, and supervise their time together appropriately.
tobie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #25
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I voted 14, but I really meant "High School." My thought about that is that I have worked with kids & DP is a teacher. The reality is that there is NO DIFFERENCE between group & 1:1 dating. Groups of kids will not tell on each other. They will facilitate each others' hook-ups. Generally speaking, teenagers behave worse in groups than they will individually. I do not believe that dating in a group will delay any sexual behavior, and in fact, I think that peer pressure to be sexually active is less of a factor in 1:1 behavior. I work in human services, and know that while it has fallen out of favor, harm-reduction is actually quite effective with teenagers. Rather than tell my DD to NOT do something, I would rather give the message that I don't want you to do that, but if you choose to, these are the ways you can lessen any risks to yourself & others.

I also have no religious/faith-based constraints around my parental beliefs, so I know that my "rules" are much more liberal than some others.

Oh, and I totally support the folks saying that they will not pay for their kids' dates & won't provide the transportation...1:1 is pretty adult dating...if you're mature enough to date 1:1, you're mature enough to figure out how to pay for it & how to get there!
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #26
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted 16 in the poll, but in reality it will depend on our child's maturity. DH & I already discussed, and agreed, that the age will not be based on gender. IE, our son won't get to date sooner just because he's a boy.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #27
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I started dating one on one at 13, so long as I know the boy, where they're going, what they're doing, and when they're going to be back I have no problem with a similar age.

FTR - even though I started dating young, I was a virgin till I was 18 and with my now DH, so just because you start dating young doesn't mean you start having sex young.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #28
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say 16.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I said 16 for one on one dating,driving to pick up date ,etc.
However i'd let my almost 15 yr old go on a "date" to the movies,skating rink,etc as long as I took her.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #30
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobie9 View Post
I think he is a little young/immature for a girlfriend right now, but also feel like saying a flat "no" to this would cause a rift between him and us, and would make him seek other ways to pursue this relationship. I prefer allowing it - this gives us the opportunity to keep an open conversation about it, monitor their relationship, and supervise their time together appropriately.
This is exactly how I feel! If you just say "NO" you can't do this until you are such and such age, end of discussion, I think you're going to get some resentment and rebellion.