Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
elibellij
Registered Users

I Can't Stop Obsessing About Baby's Head Shape :(

I have a cute, cute little (huge!) baby. But, ever since reading a thread here on DS about baby head shapes and Craniosynostosis, I can't stop obsessing about my baby's head shape.

It LOOKS pretty good, but in the back you can feel that his occiput sticks out quite a bit. There is even a little "dip" between the top of his head and the occiput.

The ped says it's fine...my husband is not concerned...the baby's fontanelle is fine...

Why can't I stop worrying? If it's just something cosmetic or just how his head is shaped, I can totally deal with it. But I can't get it out of my head that it could be a problem.

Do you guys all have perfectly shaped baby heads?

Help me stop worrying Or not...if I should be.

Advertisement

elibellij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
kristawithak
Registered Users
seller

Re: I Can't Stop Obsessing About Baby's Head Shape :(

I would just keep an eye on it and always mention it to your doc if anything seems abnormal.

With DS1, I noticed a bump on the back of his head when he was a few weeks old and they did an ultrasound on it to make sure the growth plates (or whatever) weren't fusing together too soon. Everything was perfectly fine and it set everyone's mind at ease.
kristawithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
brandy1421
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at this age i dont think its AS much of a concern yet, but to make yourself feel better you could take a photo once a week and see if you can see changes in it over a few weeks kwim?
Brandy*~Mommy Rio 12-06 Milo 10-07 & Atticus 3-10 #4 EDD Dec 14 2014
Have a Princess? SHOP HERE -----> Pretty Pretties
WAHM HyenaCart
brandy1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would just keep an eye on it. I have a ridge where the back of my skull is slightly higher then the front, like where the soft spot once was the portion of skull behind it is raised slightly, I do have cronic migraines. My son has the same thing and his pedi said there is nothing to worry about. My daughter has a small skull her pedi sent us to a neurologist when she was a baby because of her head measuring small, the neurologist measured my head an said it is likely just genetic and nothing to worry about.

So just keep and eye on things and if something developmentally seems out of place don't be afraid to push for a neurologist.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

Baby heads are lumpy. It happens! The biggest concerns are growth (is his head growing at the same rate over time), symmetry of the face and ears, and position of the flat spot. I went through the "does he or doesn't he" thing with ds2. He was borderline for everything at six and nine months. We just stopped worrying about it. Now you can tell he could have used the helmet treatment but it's not too big a deal.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
elibellij
Registered Users

Thank you guys! We actually took him in yesterday to get him on meds for reflux, and I had the other ped. look at it...he says it's fine too! I'm just going to pray that I stop worrying Your comments really helped.
elibellij is offline   Reply With Quote