Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
BellyMonstersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diaper sewers - help me with fabric...!

I'm a beginner sewer but can usually figure out exactly how to make something by deconstructing what I want to make and then making one for myself out of the materials I like (have made full Medieval garb before, bodice with boning and all, so I guess I'm good at figuring out how to use my sewing machine...lol).

The problem I'm having is that cloth diapers require specific materials/fabrics that I'm not familiar with.

Microfleece?
Birdseye?
Suede cloth?

I'm not sure of the texture of any of these, or even what they look like. I could go into a local fabric store and ask someone working there, but the sad fact of the matter is, most people in the shops near me have no clue about fabric at all.

Does anyone know of a site where they have excellent pics of the fabrics so I could at least go to the fabric store armed with a little bit of info?

Thanks!

Advertisement

BellyMonstersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper sewers - help me with fabric...!

If you have a fleece jacket or vest, then you'll be familiar with microfleece. Thickness is up to your preference.
Suedecloth is just like it sounds: looks and feels a lot like suede, but it's polyester. It's not uncommon to see suedecloth used in Renaissance Faire costumes.
Go check out some Gerber dipes in the baby linens aisle at your local department/discount store. Those are made of birdseye (albeit low quality).

Here's a good site-

http://www.sewmanydiapers.com

Good luck! An kudos on your medieval reproductions! I have a medievalesque hooded riding habit that I want to render from two layers of wool jersey one of these days ...
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
BellyMonstersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Havah - thank you so much for that, it really helped me a bunch! And that site is great as well! I have a trip planned to go to a JoAnns fabrics about an hour from me where I know the staff are actually sewing & quilting hobbyists (and the store is about 3x the size of my local JoAnns). I'm hoping that between your help and theirs, I'll be able to find everything

As for the Ren Faire garb, I've always somehow figured it out on my own, and done such an amazing job that even I sit back looking at it saying, "Seriously? I made that????" Then I sow up wearing it and my friends say, "SERIOUSLY - YOU made THAT???" lol! 've *always* wanted to make a cloak (a good one). Made a crappy one once out of some old blankets when I was desperate once, but with some trim it would've looked totally ok...lol.

Thanks again!!!
BellyMonstersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No prob! Ahhh ... cloaks. My first experiment was a cloak made of none other than camel-colored suedecloth. Trimmed in brocade ... It's bundled up somewhere -- I haven't had the chance to play recently. Made it for the Pacific Northwest Scottish Highland Games and Clan Gathering ... maybe this year I should make mini-kilts for my wee ones! LOL!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
sewbeau
Registered Users

I have been sewing diapers for a few months now, so I am still learning. I tried getting PUL and fleece from JoAnns at first. I recently bought stuff online and it is WAY better quality. I was having problems with leaking right thru the JoAnns PUL. If you need help figuring out what fabrics to use for your specific type of diapers you can check out wazoodle's website. I also got some great advice from the people working there. Good Luck!
sewbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
kpreese
Registered Users
seller

I am starting to make my own diapers and I can't get hardly anything local that I need... PUL no one has heard of it lol... I asked about the weight of fleece.... they didn't even know it had a weight... lol... so I have had to order pretty much everything online...
kpreese is offline   Reply With Quote