Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Potty Training...

I am a big believer in waiting until they are ready. My DD has been using the potty since she was 15 months. She still wets herself everyonce in awhile.. More like she forgets to use the potty and thats okay. No big deal.

My Ds on the other hand.. SHOWS NO INTEREST AT ALL!!! I dont know what to do.. Will be be pooping/peeing his pants until he is 12?

Should i start pushing? Take him every 15 mins?

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training...

You can push, but he'll push right back, which will take longer.
Just because 2 kids are the same age, doesn't mean they are the same readiness. PT has nothing to do with intelligence or who he'll be when he grows up.
It's just bodily functions!
I believe that when they are ready, they practically PT themselves. I've PT 16 kids over my 9 years as a DC provider. I've PT non-cooperative kids, kids that were type A & type B, non ready kids, boys, girls, young & old.
Be positive.
Provide opportunity.
Be patient.
Be empathetic.

I haven't found being pushy to be highly effective. I have had to be assertive with a child or two, but assertive postively(like you need to try now, before we eat lunch) not like you sit there until you pee or we go every 15 minutes.
You could check out the EC forum with the sub topic of "Potty Learning". You may find some great tips there.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

agreed with previous poster and to be honest, i think there's a difference between encouraging the toilet and pushing the toilet. there's a difference between " you sit ont he toilet and you don't get up until you pee" and "okay, it's potty time, let's go grab a book!" said with a smile and an encouraging tone. My daughter trained herself at 26months but at almost 2 1/2 now sometimes she doesn't want to go because she's involved in playing so I'll say, "gracie, in 2 minutes I'm going to be taking you to the potty. i don't want you to have an accident." Two minutes later, follow through. "Gracie, it's time to use the toilet. Do you want to bring your book/baby doll/whateve rshe was playing with ?" And I usually don't get complaints. If I do, I back off. She will soon find out that she did have to go when she wets her underpants and makes a puddle and she's usually pretty upset about it. Natural consequence.
For the record, I don't potty train early. I don't push the potty. My oldest was 2 1/2, my youngest was 26months, and my middle girl was almost 3 1/2.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 06-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Completey agree, Fairy.
My little man is somewhat reluctant to poo on the potty. He pees fine. We just PT'd the 3 day undie method a few weeks ago. But he still says he has to poo but then quickly gets up, then does the same thing maybe 2-3 more times until finally I say "No, we are going to sit here and poop while we read your Thomas book."
I know he has to go.
He wants to want to go.
He is just somewhat timid of the new experience and how not private it can be.
So I totally agree that sometimes mama does know better and you have to gently encourage them. And I do think that's okay. Sometimes they get busy playing and don't want to break for nothing! You know better tho.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thank you for the tips!!