Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Still having problems with my dipes... suggestions PLEASE!

So I posted last week that I was having ammonia smell problems with my dipes, mainly my BG 3.0's. We use Rockin' Green for washing. I followed Kim's advice and did an overnight soak and then followed with a few cold washes. All of my dipes came out smelling normal and we had no problems with smell.

Well, at 4 AM this morning my 18-mo-old DD woke up screaming. I knew she wanted her diaper changed by the way she kept scrunching her legs. As soon as I took her diaper off I could smell the horrible ammonia stench. It was burn your eyes and nose, headache in 2 seconds, horrible ammonia smell! We don't have this problem during the day or during her naps or any other times of using them. Her diaper was absolutely soaked. I'm beginning to wonder if sometimes she just pees so much at night and it's on her for so long (she sleeps 11-12 hrs/night) that it starts getting the ammonia smell and then burns her bum. Would this make sense? If it does make sense, what should I do for nighttime? I keep seeing things about wool covers, but haven't wanted to deal with them and haven't been able to justify the cost, but if those with something else (would I use a fitted or what? what kind?) would keep DD dry and not get the ammonia burn and smell I'm willing to do it. Or what else could I go with? Feel free to spam me, too. But PLEASE, I need suggestions. I am at a loss of what to do!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Still having problems with my dipes... suggestions PLEASE!

Have you tried a small amount of bleach on your BG inserts during your wash? I just did this yesterday and then layed them outside in the sun to dry and this morning I felt there was little to no ammonia smell. I also only have problems with that smell after a long nights sleep. Like I said, I've only tried one diaper so far, but I am really hoping it helps me. I also did the RG soak and didn't feel that the night time ammonia smell improved (but I've only been using RG for 1 week).
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

I had this same problem about 4-5 months ago. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. My ds was waking up with ammonia burn it was so bad. I stripped using sever different methods, I used more detergent, less detergent and even a few cap fulls of bleach and nothing worked.
Finally I took my moms advice and added a cup of bleach to the water. This killed whatever was causing the ammonia problem! I then switched my detergent from Country Save to Tide and haven't has an ammonia smell since. Not even in the pail while the diapers wait to be washed!
By the way, most people say ammonia is from build up but that was not the case for me because it happened to brand new diapers after the first use and wash. I'm sure that the Country Save wasn't really washing my diapers completely and that was the problem!

Last edited by ServingHim; 06-07-2010 at 07:55 AM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Glowbaby247
Banned

My Mood:
Exclamation Re: Still having problems with my dipes... suggestions PLEASE!

I wish Rockin Green worked for us but I tried it and it helped nothing.
I don't think HD can smell it, but I can be and the next room and smell when one of the kids pee. it's not super bad just a light smell.
i thought the ammonia smell came from not drinking? http://http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/ammonia-smelling-urine-in-children.htm`
Glowbaby247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
TXmommy2be
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had this same problem with another detergent. I switched to Tide powder and use RLR to strip my diapers. I use the RLR when my diapers start to have a faint odor and we NEVER have amonia issues any more.

My DS would also cry in the middle of the night and his boy parts would get so red... and the diapers smelled so bad I thought the paint would peel off the wall (YUK!). I was lucky to find RLR at my local Kroger. The newer, larger store carries it, I can't find it at the older store closer to me...

I hope you find something very soon!!! GL!

1 in 110 kids has autism. One of them is mine.
TXmommy2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I can't use Tide b/c my DD has a sensitivity to it and I'm very leery of using bleach. I'm really thinking of not using the BG's at night anymore. What now?

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand not wanting to use bleach, I was the same way. I just rinsed and rinsed my inserts afterwards though. I've heard a lot of good things about vinegar and oxyclean, but not sure how you feel about those either. I know a lot of mamas who have quit using micofiber all together. Maybe an all cotton diaper would be best (with a fleece liner if your LO has sensitivities to being wet). I have some all cotton ones I love, but I've never tried them for overnight. Maybe organic flip, GroVia AIO, Fishnoodles? Someone else should chime in that has experience using something w/out microfiber for overnight...?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
mommy2l
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would boil the inserts with a drop of dawn. Should kill the bacteria that causes ammonia.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Kimbokarrie
Registered Users
seller

I was about to email you anyway, LOL but you can also try sunning then the next wash. That kills bacteria too.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can get ammonia in cotton, too. Trust me. Bleach and a lot of hot water to rinse works well. Cotton Babies tells you to use bleach.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote