View Poll Results: At what age do you plan to get your child a cell phone?
9 or younger 9 10.59%
10 5 5.88%
11 5 5.88%
12 8 9.41%
13 7 8.24%
14 13 15.29%
15 2 2.35%
16 21 24.71%
17 2 2.35%
other 13 15.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Cell Phones

Just because I love random polls.

How old do you think children should be before they have continuous access to a cell phone. I don't mean like letting them borrow it if they're going to a football game or the mall with friends. But, basically what age should they have one of their own to be responsible for, etc.

When I was a child, I got a phone in my room when I was 9. Boy was I young.

We don't use landlines in our home and my oldest is 9 now and probably uses a telephone once a month tops.

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: Cell Phones

I got my first cell phone (a trac phone) this past winter. When my kids have a job and can pay for a cell phone then they can get one-no way am I paying for it!
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, when my kid can pay for it, he can have one. Unless it's an emergency (like both of us working the same shift and DS might need it to reach us), then my son will not have a cell phone at a young age.

My sister got her 12 year old a phone a few months before she turned 11. She is always texting and my sister has to yell at her to get off the phone now. I don't want to deal with that.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
txmap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 11 when I got a phone in my room, I think. Then at 12, I was on the phone so much my parent's got me a separate line (that I shared with my brother). LOL

I don't know about cell phones though. My brother got his 8 yr. old a cell that can only call certain numbers (all family), but she lives with his ex-wife, and his Ex sometimes won't answer the phone when he calls, and he wanted to be able to get ahold of his daughters whenever he wanted and not at his Ex's discretion. That's a whole other issue though.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I absolutely will expect my kids to help pay for their cell phones. And, I see no reason for them to have one at a young age. My aunt gave her kids cell phones at 11 "so they can call her to pick them up." That's great and all, but they're on them all the time. And, at 11 years old my kids will not be someplace where the only way to contact me is by a cell phone they are carrying. They will be with other responsible people, at places like school - which has phone and always has people there, friends homes - which always have people there and phones, etc.

I am paranoid about my kids driving someday though and do think that having a phone in case of an emergency then would be a good idea - so I voted 16. But, I will absolutely check it to make sure they're not talking/texting, etc. while driving.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
zellti
Registered Users

My Mood:

We got our son (11 years old) a cheap, pre-paid cellphone. He only uses it to call us so his minutes last forever. We are stationed in Germany, though so the phones on base aren't always able to dial an off base number (where we live) and we have no family. It's important that he can reach us whenever he needs us.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 12yo has one, but she uses her allowance to buy a phone card. She spends $15 every 4-6 weeks on it. It's an AT&T GoPhone. She mostly uses it to text her friends and if she is on a field trip, or at a friends house after school.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I got one in 9th grade at the age of 14 so I will probably let them have phones at that age. They'll be homeschooled though so they may not need one until later but that was the age when I was going home with my 10th grade friends who could drive or going to the mall with them and I needed to call my mom to let her know what I was up to.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i couldn't decide between 14 and 16 so i voted 15 we actually just went to a birthday party over the weekend for a set of twins in ds' kindergarten class and they got phones anyway, i want them to have a phone for when they're out with their friends (i had to use a pay phone all.the.time when i was a kid and it was a hassle) but they'll be responsible for buying their own minutes and messages to chat with their friends.

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
momof2jmwjaw
Registered Users
seller

I plan to get my boys one once they are in middle school so about age 12. I am only getting them a cheap prepaid phone and will pay for the cheapest plan. If they want something more they can pay the differance from their allowance. This is what my older sister does and it works great for her.