View Poll Results: At what age do you plan to get your child a cell phone?
9 or younger 9 10.59%
10 5 5.88%
11 5 5.88%
12 8 9.41%
13 7 8.24%
14 13 15.29%
15 2 2.35%
16 21 24.71%
17 2 2.35%
other 13 15.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cell Phones

My kids will probably get a cell phone when they start driving. My husband thinks they should have one when they're old enough to stay after school for activities. We'll probably compromise, and get them phones when they're 14-ish. Closely monitored with no extra bells and whistles. I don't want my kids having texting on their phone - that way there will be no chance for them to text while driving.

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Well, I was 10 when I got a cell phone, but just a prepaid with like 25 minutes on it and was told that if I went over - I was responsible for buying more. It was reloaded with 25 minutes every 3 months or so, and used only to call my mom after games in highschool for a ride home.

If my kid needs one for something like that - they will get a prepaid.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I will be the odd one out. My 11 yo dd has a cell phone. She has had one for about 2 years. We dont have a home phone. So, dh, dd, and myself each have cells. She calls me everyday when school is over to meet up ( I am always late because she is always slow and I hate sitting there) She has always been very responsible with her phone. She has lost it twice, but not really lost it, only misplaced it where she couldnt find it for a day or 2. We have never had to buy her a new phone because she lost it. I love knowing that I can get a hold of her whenever I need to. And it is only $10/month for her to have it, and that is with unlimited texting. In all honesty, if I feel that my mdd needs a phone in kindergarten (in 2 years), I will get her one. To me it isnt age, it is family need. We do monitor her with her phone and we check all her texts before she deletes them. One time I caught her cursing in text with a friend. I told her if she was going to curse to at least spell it right. Funny thing is that she has never cursed again. We have complete access, just like with her email.
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

When they're old enough to pay for it themselves

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, since *I* don't have one and I'm a 31 year old grown-up, they can get one when they have a job and can afford to pay for it themselves. lol
Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
Well, since *I* don't have one and I'm a 31 year old grown-up, they can get one when they have a job and can afford to pay for it themselves. lol
Exactly this. DH wouldn't have one if he wasn't impossible to reach at work without one. I honestly don't see why most people have them, it's an additional needless expense.

That said, I think my BIL is going about this in a reasonable manner. His DD is 12, and gets shuffled around a fair bit between his house and his ex's, and several activities as well as a slew of doctors appointments (she has some kind of blood condition - don't know the details, but she has to go for transfusions fairly often) so there's a reasonable want for a cell phone with her. He gave her an iPod touch for Christmas, and told her if, only if, she could be responsible for keeping the iTouch in good condition and be responsible with what she's downloading to it she can have a cell phone for Christmas next year.

Last edited by Computermama; 06-07-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not sure. It is such a weird concept for me. When I was 17 or so I had one. It had a cord, and a giant antenna separate from the phone. The phone itself was as big as my head. Just google "brick cell phone" and you'll see a newer version of what I had. LOL. Anyhow, this was the olden days of cell phones and it was seriously like a buck a minute or some insanity. I had it for emergencies only and I only used it once. I'm fine with a younger child having a cell phone for emergencies only, but with the cell phones how they are now, I'm not sure how that would work. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to the day my kid turns 9 and starts telling me how "all the kids have one". The world has changed so much since I was that age!
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Age 16 when they start to drive. That way they can call for help if needed or such.
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:

I put 10, but not sure when. I would have MANY parental controls on it. No texting. No internet. It would be a just-in-case kinda thing. I am over protective too LOL
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can't put an age on it for us. When the kids are old enough and mature enough to go out without adult supervision (to the mall or something like that) we'll get them a cell phone at that time so we can get ahold of them. Until then we won't leave them with an adult that we can't reach or we don't fully trust so there is no need for one.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote