Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts on Sheltering

Have a relationship with your child where they know that you love them, guide them the best you know how, and are open to talking about any subject will do more than just sheltering them.

It's a balance. A parent should protect their child but protection does not always mean that you stop your child from experiencing certain things. Sometimes protection DOES mean that you make it known that while under your roof certain things are not allowed.

I'm sure we all can think of bad situations where people were under sheltered or over sheltered in our opinions. You can't control your kids all the time in every way even while they live at home. It's better to teach them how to make the right choices on their own rather than make the choices for them until they are 18.

I defintely think the little ones need sheltering though. Babies, toddlers, and even young grade-schoolers. They need lots of talks and explanations from mom and dad and sometimes some topics are better to not go in depth right then but wait until they are older and can grasp the concept.

Advertisement

jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
AnotherNoVaMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts Sheltering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniless View Post
No, I mean sheltering kids from influences you think are bad, whether it be religious, moral, ethical, or simply against the way of life you're living. Like homeschooling your kid to keep your kids away from "bad influences" in public school, not having a TV because you don't want your kids exposed to the values on TV, living in a place with only like minded people, and only letting your children play with kids from families with similar values---

A good thing? A bad thing? Ideal but not possible in today's world? Etc?
Here's my take on sheltering (as someone who is seriously considering homeschooling for some of the reasons you mention): I will never shelter my children from exposure to [age appropriate] ideas, but I would like to shelter them while they are young from certain people and experiences. For example, school bullying. I just don't think you need to experience that to be a well-adjusted adult -- if anything, I think the opposite is true. We don't have cable tv because I don't want them exposed to advertising directed at children (including marketing of junk food); they only watch DVDs. And I want to teach them that family comes first and to keep them from becoming peer-identified at such a young age. However, I think a well-rounded education is vital, and they will be exposed to the full range of ideas that are out there, including religious ones -- we will teach them from a secular perspective because we are secular, but they are totally free to choose whatever faith or belief system speaks to them.

Too, they will always have input and choices. So when they get to the age where they may express a preference about school and decide they want to go to school with other kids, we will probably accommodate it because I'm not going to force them to homeschool against their will. I do hope that laying a positive and less "cluttered" foundation during the younger years (say 0-10yo) will put them in good stead for the things they will encounter as they get older.