Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5-6 weeks pregnant, empty sac? UPDATE!

Posting for a friend- has anybody had this and how did things turn out? I think she had a transvag U/S.

EDIT: She knows her dates as she was charting, she is about 6.5 weeks (spoke to her today)

Update 6/18: Well she went in for another ultrasound, at 7.5 wks, and still no baby to be seen. There is still a sac there, no yolk sac, the sac is growing at the right rate and the doctor is pretty sure it is a blighted ovum. He wanted to schedule a D&C right away but she wants to wait it out for at least 10-14 days to see if her body miscarries naturally. Then she will insist on another U/S just in case... by that point it will be around 9 weeks. So, it doesn't sound good at all for her at this point. :-(

Advertisement

Last edited by jeebee; 06-16-2010 at 02:55 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Re: 5-6 weeks pregnant, empty sac?

my little sister found out with her last PG, an empty sac at 11 wks. she needed a D&C. it was a chemical PG w/ no formation of a baby. to your friend.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes at 5-6 wks it's just too early to see anything. It may end up in a miscarriage, but it also may be fine if she has another u/s in a few weeks.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my friend just had an empty sac between 5-6 weeks, the doc didn't give her much hope...but the following found a healthy embryo with a beating heart measuring 7 weeks
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, 5-6 weeks is too early to be sure. she should probably wait a week or two and follow up.
I had a d&c for the same reason when I was much younger and more uninformed and still get the nagging "what if" feelings once in a while.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
momof2jmwjaw
Registered Users
seller

My first pregnancy there was an empty sac when I was about 5 weeks. I had a little spotting so I went to the ER because I din't know it was normal. They did an ultrasound and didn't find a baby. SO I went to the doctors and he gave me the option of doing a D&C or wait to miscarry on my own. I chose the D&C and had it done the next day.

After doing some research I found out that sometimes you can't see the baby that early but in a few weeks you can. So I feel like if I would of waited there would of been a baby. But if I wouldn't of done the D&C then I wouldn't have my boys since I got preggo a few weeks after the D&C.

Anyways, all that to say I think your friend should have another ultrasound in a few weeks if she doesn't miscarry before then. Instead of rushing into a D&C like I did.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
katydid6952
Registered Users
seller

I had this happen but what made me go in before my 8 week appt was that I was spotting. They had me come in and did a transvag US and found a sac but no baby. They sent me for blood work to check my hormone levels and I had to go back a few days later but I miscarried within a few days.

I have a friend who's currently going through the same thing except she's been cramping real bad and after 3 US's they still aren't sure what's going on.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

when i was 8-9 wks and had an US they cld barely see a speck in there, ended up baby was hiding and since my uterus is tilted they had a hard time getting a glimpse. however the next time he was VERY present! wishing your friend luck!!!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this happened to me with my current pregnancy! While it can certainly mean that the baby has not formed...5-6weeks is too early for that diagnosis...so make sure your friend doesn't let anyone pressure her into doing anything until they are SURE that there is no baby.

I'd had a tiny bit of spotting...my OB wanted to do an ultrasound...could only see the gestational sac with transvaginal, also found a subchorionic hematoma (also associated with a pregnancy that will end in pregnancy, but doesn't cause it...just a "finding")....they drew labs and told me to come back in 8 days for a follow up ultrasound. They were not giving me much hope. My HCG levels came back goood, but 2 days later were not doubling. My OB told me, that while there was still a tiny bit of room for hope, things were really not looking good. I prepared myself for the worst, and when I went in for the follow up ultrasound, there was my little bean with a nice strong heartbeat! I'm now 23 weeks and things have gone pretty smoothly since.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had that but I was a bit farther along (6-7) wks and it ended up a miscarriage. The OB did an ultrasound because I was spotting and said that the sac was the size he would expect for a 5 wk pregnancy. It had obviously stopped developing but I chose not to do the D&C just in case and miscarried at home.

I would say that if everything else looks normal then there's cause for hope. If she is otherwise right on track, there's still a chance. Just keep cool and try to relax (as if that's much possible). Fingers crossed for her!
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote