Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Re: I need encouraging

Hang in there.
do the dr Sears burp method if gulping is the problem. Sit baby on your lap and give a couple of bounces then burp. That helps with the extra air gulped in if you do it right away.
Is she Hn? Check dr Sears site and see. Maybe not an allergy problem as much as a great personality. My dd is hn and I remember going through ellimination diets ect... She is 15mo now and still nurses way more than the average, but she is a joy to be around! So full of life now, but so exhausting as an infant.
Do you wear her during the day? It may help to do some kangeroo care. Just pop her in a rs or pouch and go around the house for awhile with no shirt or a button down opened. Let her nurse as she pleases and maybe she will get her fill in during the day. I would also suggest you wear her alot. A couple hours per day.
If you arent cosleeping maybe you would wanna consider it. You two can just dream nurse through the night. hth

Advertisement

Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

whats hn? we're kinda half time co sleepers lol, she spends half the night in her bassinet and the the rest in bed with me, I don't know how you mama's nurse laying down, I have a heck of a time with it! I do have a pouch, but have yet to try her in it, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see. as for no shirt or button down shirts, our landlords over this week putting in a new window, so not an option unless I want to give him a good show lol. She had a pretty good day today, seems to be having a little easier time getting those poops out, but they're still diarrhea! My biggest concern is dehydration but she seems to be fine and is nursing lots so I don't think she'll get dehydrated!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

hn= high needs.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #14
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hang in there if you can, it will get better!! I cried at almost every feeding the first 3 weeks & alot until about 6-8 weeks. We had latch problems, palet problems, tongue tie, let down problems, thrush, milk allergy... and sleep deprivation to top it all off. It was so, so hard.

I finally got a good lc who helped me thru at least some of those issues. After going thru all those really hard times like you are going thru now, every little improvement was just such a relief and gave me the strength to go on just one more day.

For laying down nursing, I had some wash clothes I used to get her head to the right height & position. I think 1-2 under her head & 1-2 under my breast at times.

You are probably getting close to being thru the very worst of it, and maybe you can try to focus on the tiny things that might be slightly better than a week ago? That helped me keep going, if you have a good moment in your nursing of her, really try to remember that to get you thru just one more day. It's just one thing on top of another those first weeks, but slowly each of them gets better & one day you realize it is finally good.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Have you tried "gripe water"? Our DS had horrible gas problems the first month. Gripe water worked wonders for him, whereas the OTC brands did nothing. I emphathize with you! It will get better around 4 -6 weeks when DC's digestive system works out the kinks.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #16
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

There are some homeopathic colic remedies you might want to try, I know Boiron's makes a great one.

Oh, and can you describe her poops? LOL Just because it's normal for b/f babies to have liquid poop, and it's not actually diarrhea. Runny, mustardy coloured, sometimes a little seedy but usually very liquid. If it's green at all, that's a sign of either too much foremilk or an allergy/sensitivity.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, mama, you can do this!!! You are doing great so far. If you have to, give her a paci or your finger to suck on so that your poor girls can take a breather. I had to do the same thing when my son was first born. It was so excruciating sometimes that DH would just take him and let him suck on his finger so that I could have a break and the girls could breathe. You are not a bad mommy for giving a pacifier!

Also, she is probably wanting to nurse alot if her tummy is upset. It's good for her though it might not seem good for you (because of the pain. Take time to let the girls rest, give them some air, put on Soothies, lanolin cream or whatever else you need to do to get them to have some relaxation time. They're working alot!

Also, see if DD will lay down with you during the day. You can nurse your little one and your other DD can lay down and then you can get some rest, even if you don't sleep.

HTH. You're doing great!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
momof4
Registered Users
seller

It's soo hard when you're sore and in desperate need of sleep! Soreness after the first week or so probably means latching issues. Gulping may mean that your milk starts out very fast. Try expressing the first bit of the stream onto a pf or burp cloth, then let her latch on; hopefully, she won't chomp as hard on your sore spot, and will gulp a little less.

Remember that mothering is not an all-or-nothing proposition. If you do feel like you can't take it any more and need to give her a bottle or two of soy, it doesn't mean you can't nurse her most or all of the time as things improve. You might also try talking to a lactation consultant about a meeting, both for help, and also maybe they'll let you use a pump at their place once or twice until yours arrives.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Her poops are bright orange and watery, not seedy at all nor green at all. she's slowly getting better, she had a good night last night and today seems to be going well! I find if I can put her off from eating for about an hour after she decides she's hungry than she digests it a little better? not sure why, but she doesn't have nearly the gas problems? maybe cause she's working some of the old gas out? she only woke up once last night so I got some decent sleep! I'm not having any more problems with pain though, which is a bonus, except when she chomps down hard as she can and pulls! that one hurts lol! we give her grip water everyday, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all? am I getting the wrong kind? It seems to help a little if I lay her on her tummy and rub her back so we've been doing that lots, then I let her sleep in the living room with me on her tummy so I can keep an eye on her.
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. My dd, who is now, 10.5 months did lots of gulping, milk intolerance, no paci (not that I didn't try), and my 4 yo was up (making noise) all day. I can say it does get better. I cut dairy from my diet, and I LOVE dairy. I thought it was going to be impossible; but really it is not so bad if you have a good store near you that offers alternatives. Our market opened up right after I had to cut dairy, so I didn't have to suffer too long. If you pm me I can give you some dairy alternatives for the more popular items, butter, sour cream. I have yet to figure out how to make my now 5yo, excuse my language, but; SHUT UP long enough for my dd to get a nap. About the nursing all the time, maybe she is just going through a growth spurt. Also, my dd had to do reglan for a bit for reflux, but we cut that out after a few months and now she is fine. I eat dairy now every once in a while so that I don't get bitter and she tolerates it a little better, still has some reaction.
Nursing lying down...lots of pillows (two behind your head, one between your legs, one or two behind your back for support). I am a pro at this now. I couldn't ever get the hang of it with my first one; but once I was told the pillow ratio, I got it right away.
Hope this helps. PM me for that non-dairy stuff if you want it...
oh, and
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote