Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
konayossie
Registered Users

Positive Babywearing Stories?

I always see lots of threads where people have to put up with ignorant and negative comments about babywearing. Even though I live in a region where I very rarely see other babywearers, I am happy to say that in 14 months of babywearing, I've only had maybe two snide remarks (both when DS was really young and in the cradle hold--a couple ladies thought he looked smooshed). Usually DS rides in my Ergo while we shop, and I get tons of compliments on how well-behaved and happy he seems riding back there. Older ladies are always saying how they wish they'd had such "contraptions" back when they were having kids (I keep to myself the fact that babywearing is how things were done until modern times ).

Anyway, today I was walking through the hospital wearing DS in my ringsling, and he was happy and waving at everyone he saw, and you could tell it really made people's day to see him waving at them. I got tons of compliments on how adorable he was and how comfy he seemed with his ride. It's fun to get positive feedback from the community when it seems so often as a mother I get unwanted advice, etc.

Any other positive babywearing stories you want to share?

Advertisement

konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: Positive Babywearing Stories?

I'm the same way as you. I've only received a few nasty comments (which are from my dd's great grandma) all the rest are very positive. I almost always get AT LEAST one really nice comment while I'm out with dd and I don't live in a 'crunchy' area either.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't usually get positive or negative comments, more just confused ones I went to the zoo with my sister and her DH & he was wearing their LO in one of my mei tais while I lagged behind with my two kiddos...DS poking along walking & DD in my other mei tai. This group of high school girls got in between us and I could hear them asking each other what exactly my niece was riding in, then one girl says "I think they did something to her purse & put the baby in it, that's kind of different"...then I walked past and hear them say "whoa, another purse thing!" Most people either don't say anything at all, ask if its comfortable, or make "that's interesting/different/a new thing" comments.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
konayossie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennamathis View Post
then one girl says "I think they did something to her purse & put the baby in it, that's kind of different"...then I walked past and hear them say "whoa, another purse thing!"

Hilarious! A purse baby!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennamathis View Post
then one girl says "I think they did something to her purse & put the baby in it, that's kind of different"...then I walked past and hear them say "whoa, another purse thing!"

thats hilarious!!

I have got tons of wonderful comments BWing DS! A women stopped me at a fair when DS was ITTY bitty and i had him in my hommade wrap, the woman was like " that is such a wonderful and beutiful thing to see, you are doing great things for your child, keep it up momma!" she was older and a very nice women i may say! I have also got some confused comments and people asking what i was wearing. We had Meitais, pouches and wraps. and i always went on and on about how to make and wear them! People i have seen seemed quite interested. My little sister got a wierd comment froma grouchy lady at the zoo once about her DS looking uncomfortable. He was happy as a clam however! some people.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

I have a moby
I had 2 people on the same day say "its like your still pregnant" I'm not sure if that's positive or not.
I have had a few people ask what it was and where they could get one.
"he looks so comfy/happy"
and the "I wish they had those when I had kids"
"there's a baby in there!!!"
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
konayossie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdf13 View Post
I have a moby
I had 2 people on the same day say "its like your still pregnant" I'm not sure if that's positive or not.
Maybe they meant b/c the baby is on your chest/tummy in almost the same way as when you were pregnant? I remember thinking that about my Moby actually . . .
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
mc_squared
Registered Users

I've been wearing DS since birth, he's now 22 mos and I don't think I've ever gotten a rude comment about BWing. Most often I get other moms asking me what type of carrier I'm using (usually my Beco) since it looks so comfy and DS is so happy in it. I think the only "critical" comment I have had (but from someone well-meaning) was someone saying he must be really heavy/my back must be hurting. I think it's so funny that people assume that, since during pregnancy I'm carrying around an extra 25-35 lbs, whereas DS only weighs about 25 lbs right now! And yet I'm sure people would assume he was too heavy to carry, lol.
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the comments I get are pretty neutral. I did have one lady tell me we looked funny, but she was old so I'm hoping just had no filters. Other than that it is usually the "oh, there's a baby in there?!" or "what is that" (I have a mei tai in a not very crunchy area) and then the occasional "can he breathe/is he comfy/isn't he smooshed?" sorts of comments.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

I took DS home from the hospital in the beco (well down from the NICU where he was to the car.. you know what I mean) and when I was leaving, another couple that was there asked me about the carrier, where could they get one like that, how comfortable is it, etc. I told the husband as much as I could (he was the one who asked!) and gave him the URL of a local store who sells carriers and all kinds of AP stuff.

I've also had a few people comment on how cool my Beco is, it's been called a "cool Snuggli" and I haven't really noticed any strange looks while wearing DS.