Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
What do I do with my Son??

Okay so Mikey has been acting weird teh last couple of days and he is driving me crazy Nah but really he is throwing himself around in these tantrums and fits and if he doesnt get what he wants right when he points at it he goes balistic?? he is almost 14 months old and this just started happening and progressing for teh last week. Usually he is pretty happy but today it was the worst, everything was a scream and a fight from him. I just dotn know what to do. Obviously I cant reason with him or really discipline him because hes still a baby and doesnt really understand whats happening?? So when it gets really bad I put him up in his room in his crib and he is totally fine, he talks to himself plays with his binkie, curls up in his blanket and falls asleep, but as soon as he wakes up and I bring him down here he flips out again?? WTH??

SO I feel guilty putting him in his crib over and over when he screams but its teh only place he doesnt scream?? why is that?? AD should i feel guilty putting him in there?? I tried rocking him, feeding him changing his clothes, changing his diaper and hes just irritated and mad all teh time?? Will this pass what should I do?? I dont want him to grow up to be one of those children that is completely out of control but I just dont know what to do ??

Does your children do this??

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I do with my Son??

hmmm...are there other children at home during this time? Is there something in particular that is annoying him when he is out of his crib?

Maybe he just wants to be independent all of a sudden, or he wants to be alone all by himself to play, etc?

Try ignoring him when he throws himself on the floor or if he screams (of course checking on him so he does'nt hurt himself). Everytime he throws a tantrum, turn your head the other way, so he understands that his tantrums don't get him attention and that you are not going to put on a show for him. I think eventually he may settle down on his own, when he realizes no one is watching him flip out. This may be just a new discovery of mom's reactions. He is testing you, and testing your limits, possibly.

I notice, my little guy gets very upset at certain times, when I have been too busy to play with him. His sister is in school, and I am sewing, so he plays for awhile and then wants my attention. So if I just play intensely with him for a little while, he is usually contented for quite a bit after that.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
sienna
Registered Users

I can recommend the book Positive Discipline 0-3 by Jane Nelsen ( i think that is the spelling?) it is awesome and has great ideas for dealing with stuff like that. i moved up to positive discipline for preschoolers now it is great too.

www.naturalchild.org is a site where you can find that and other parenting great books.

toddlers are like aliens in a world where they don't understand the language, the culture, the laws of physics...nothing. so it is a hard life for them.

hang in there and try to be with him as much as possible when he cries...and distract and redirect.

s
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
mistylaureena
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
I can recommend the book Positive Discipline 0-3 by Jane Nelsen ( i think that is the spelling?) it is awesome and has great ideas for dealing with stuff like that. i moved up to positive discipline for preschoolers now it is great too.

www.naturalchild.org is a site where you can find that and other parenting great books.

toddlers are like aliens in a world where they don't understand the language, the culture, the laws of physics...nothing. so it is a hard life for them.

hang in there and try to be with him as much as possible when he cries...and distract and redirect.

s
Thanks I will check out that book!! I do try to comfort him and redirct his attention but its like he has a onetrack mind and gets so flippin mad like he's possesed But this all started happening just a few days ago and I was hoping maybe he just didnt feel good and would get past it but I hope this attitude isnt here to stay
Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if he's quite old enough, but when dd (19 months) has fits like that, I try vocalizing why she's upset for her - "mommy knows you want to have another cracker, but you've already had your snack and are just giving them to the dog right now, and we'll have dinner soon, so let's read a book instead" which works sometimes. Other times she's not willing to be soothed and redirected and does have a full on fit. When I can't help any other way, I tell her I love her and I'm ready to give her a hug as soon as she calms down, then I walk away (like, across the room) and do what I need to do. Usually, as soon as she realizes I'm not there to be an audience, she calms down, and then it's her decision to come to me for comfort, not me forcing her to allow me to comfort her. I've using these two approaches with moderate success for a few months now. Also - I use a three chances approach - I will ask her to do something nicely three times, the last time I preceed the request with "last chance", if she doesn't aquiesce, I gently and nicely "help" her aquiesce - it lets her know what to expect and allows her to make the decision to do what she's told. HTH!
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
sienna
Registered Users

oh yeah, i forgot that. LABEL THE FEELINGS. Give the feelings a voice. It works so well as kids get older and really helps with the terrific twos.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
bugsyboo
Banned
seller

I wish i can help but my soon to be 18 month old does the same! so i will be reading this thread too!
bugsyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

could he be bored? i know my kids act crazy when they are bored and need new challenges, or a change of scenery. going outside or to another room helps. maybe instead of putting him in his crib (unless he is actually ready for a nap of course) spend some time playing in his room. or take toys from another part of the house and use them in a different room. my boys have actually started doing this on their own. they are almost 16 months.

teaching him signs will help him to communicate before he has verbal language and reduces frustration levels.

do you notice the behavior happening at predictable times? pay attn to what precedes it or triggers it, if anything.

and if he wants some thing that he absolutely can't have because of safety reasons, offer him something similar instead. sorry, you can't have the glass plate, but you can have this really great plastic one! or whatever.

and most of all know that it will get better with time and patience.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
mistylaureena
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the great suggestions i will try som eof those....I dont want people to thin kI just throw him in his crib all day long and tell him to deal with it, but its the only place he likes to hang out with out screaming, he just hangs out no problem in there, but he defitnely does let me know when he does not want to be in there whiich i dont force him to stay in there ykwim?? But I do try to play with him and that never seems good enough. But he will want to play with lik eteh outlets and if I try to redirect his attentions he completely flips out and nothing will calm him down unless I let him play with teh outlets--WHICH I DONT LET HIM PLAY WITH AT ALL!! but thats what we are going through but i will take your great suggestions and try to use them!!

Is it possible that he is getting his molars would it make him feel irritated and act like this??
Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
mypa
Registered Users

Yes, it could definitely be teething. DS gets like that when he is tired, hungry, or teething. I find that when DS acts out of sorts there is always a reason. Molars are tough because they take so long to come out. But he only acts like that for a few days at a time and like your DS, he gets really focused on one thing and will not stop crying until he gets it. So far it's been things like flushing the toilet or looking through all the neighboor's trash cans, nothing dangerous. If your son gets comfort being in his crib, then totally don't feel bad about putting him there, you are responding to his needs. Distraction helps, but only in the form of another person, like another child, a neighboor lady, even total strangers seem to settle him down. You just need to need to figure out what helps your child the most during those times. Hang in there, I know it's so hard, but it last a short time.
mypa is offline   Reply With Quote