View Poll Results: does your 4 year old still nap?
every day 32 47.06%
occasionally, if they were up late or had to get up early 17 25.00%
only when sick 10 14.71%
never 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
My Mood:
Re: does your 4 year old still nap??

Max naps every day because he's a BEAR if he doesn't! However, he will not nap by himself. He'll just play quietly in his room. We've tried this & he's still a BEAR! Therefore, he naps with me every day. It's such a rough time I have...I am required to nap every single day. Seriously, it makes me a better ma, too. So we all nap daily except for my 8 year old who reads quietly in his room during quiet time.

Kj, child of God, loving wife to David, and Ma to my 3 M's...Mike (9), Max (5) & Macie (2)!
MaxCapacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
My Mood:

I nap with mine too
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

every kid is different!! My oldest dd napped till she was five and a half. My middle dd naps like every other day. She does get kinda crabby though.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
My Mood:

My daughter will be 4 years old in August. She stopped napping regularly just before she turned 3. She sleeps well from about 7pm-7am every night. If she naps I can't get her to sleep before 11pm.
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

My older Nephew turned 4 in Jan. I watched him and his younger brother while their Mom worked. Some days I'd do "Quiet time or go for a drive" he complains a little bit about doing "Quiet time or driving around" but sometimes he'd go to sleep or a lot of times I just had to give up trying to get them to take a nap. Both boys esp the younger one can be total monsters if they don't nap. Good and bad thing about the younger one is he can take a 2hr nap between 6-8pm and still be ready for bed at 9:30. The older one if he sleeps after 5pm then he's up til 1am or later.

Due to varies Therapy times that my younger Nephew had during the week I couldn't do "Quiet time" the same time everyday. Both of them will be in Preschool this fall and the younger one who just turned 3 last Sunday will probably still need a nap after school so my plans are to have a set time for both boys to do "Quiet time".
Older sister to Diaper Swappers member Melhen. Aunt to K and John John
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #16
Registered Users

My DD is almost 5 and we've had her on and off with naps for the last 2 years. We gave up the nap at one point because we couldn't stand the naptime/bedtime struggles and the 10pm bedtime. But she would still nap if given the chance. When she was in preschool/daycare, anytime they would have nap/quiet time, including very recently, she would always fall asleep. She's finally getting to a point where most days I don't think, "Man, I'm a bad mommy for not making her nap" but we're going through it now with my 3yo and it's driving me batty. He needs a nap every day, but if he gets one he won't go to bed at night (and he'll wake up a lot). It's a no win

If you're happy with your (his) schedule and it's working out, I'd say keep it going! They learn and play so much better when they get the sleep they need!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
My Mood:

DD1 won't be 4 until December but no, she does not nap anymore and hasn't for almost a year already. It's not too bad because like a pp said she is bed by about 7:30 everynight. If for some stange reason she does nap she stays up until 9:30-10 no matter what we do.
Sarah wife to Fred mama to Lily (12/06) Holly (11/08) and Jack (12/10)
Swag with me!

Last edited by redneckmama; 06-12-2010 at 11:27 AM.
redneckmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

My 4-year-old can get by without a nap sometimes, but mostly he's a lot happier when he gets a good nap. If he really fights it, I'll tell him he doesn't have to sleep, but that he needs to read or play quietly in his room, and 75% of the time, he'll fall asleep.
~kathryn~ quilter, lazy gardener, wife to Joe, SAHM to sweet, sensitive Sam 3/06 and feisty Alex 11/10
still missing my lost angels - 11/07 * 5/08 * 9/08 * 12/08
ktarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
My Mood:

only when sick, if she naps at all she will stay up until midnight
RJmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wish! He could definitely benefit from a daily nap, but sometimes it's more of a struggle than it's worth. Most of the time, when he's super crabby, he'll grab his blanket and cuddle up to me. That's when I know he NEEDS one...but if I mention the "N word" all h*ll breaks loose. I've been pretty lucky at putting a movie in in my bedroom and laying with him and watching it together. 90% of the time he'll pass out within 20 minutes.
DS (9) DD1 (5) DD2 (03/15)

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote