Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
ericak95
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Slyvan Learning Centers?

I've been thinking of having my daughter take a session or two this summer -- I haven't called yet, but was wondering if anyone else has used them and what the oppinions are and about what does it cost?

THanks
Erica

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Re: Slyvan Learning Centers?

I worked in a non-teaching role with them for a while. They're good, I'm sure your daughter will progress rapidly once you enroll her.

It is expensive.

As a (at the time) non-parent and (at the time) non-teacher, it seemed that most of the success of the program was someone sitting one-on-one with the student, paying 100% attention to them in a space dedicated to learning that made it so effective. I couldn't believe that people would pay what they were paying to get what they were getting.

IMHO, if you got workbooks for home, and decided that 10am-11am was workbook time, then pasted a smile on your face and helped your daughter with her work for an hour (without answering the phone or checking your e-mail or making dinner at the same time), you'd see similar results for free.

Save that tutoring money for when your kid is in high school and studying astrophysics... and you can't find a workbook for it. :-)
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the child. My mom enrolled me as a child and honestly, it was a waste of time. At the time, they did not account for different learning styles, although that may have changed by this point.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've heard they're good. My Sister worked for one for a year or two a few years ago.

We don't have any within a 100miles of me anymore the ones we did have packed up and closed down one night didn't give anyone notice or nothing they just took the money and ran. The next morning the workers showed up at work only to find out they didn't have a job anymore. There was like 2 or 3 that did that all in the same night. Talk about screwing a bunch of people over.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We looking into them for DS1. He needed a little extra attention to get his ABCs, sounds and such down (to be ready for 1st Grade). I kept trying and he just didn't want to hear it from me.

I took him to Sylvan and they did the Assessment ($95!) to see what he knew vs what he should know. Then they showed me the payment options ... . It was well over $1,000 monthly. That was just for 3 hours a week.

We ended up searching Tutors on Google and found an amazing Tutor who comes to our house for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less! DS1 knew everything Sylvan said would take 6 months in 2 weeks! He loves it.

She said usually Summer is her most busy time.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02 View Post
It depends on the child. My mom enrolled me as a child and honestly, it was a waste of time. At the time, they did not account for different learning styles, although that may have changed by this point.
I did it as a child and it didn't ever help
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
We looking into them for DS1. He needed a little extra attention to get his ABCs, sounds and such down (to be ready for 1st Grade). I kept trying and he just didn't want to hear it from me.

I took him to Sylvan and they did the Assessment ($95!) to see what he knew vs what he should know. Then they showed me the payment options ... . It was well over $1,000 monthly. That was just for 3 hours a week.

We ended up searching Tutors on Google and found an amazing Tutor who comes to our house for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less! DS1 knew everything Sylvan said would take 6 months in 2 weeks! He loves it.

She said usually Summer is her most busy time.
Same thing happened to us. I would just find a good private tutor.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I almost enrolled my oldest in Sylvan until I was told by a couple former-Sylvan tutors, that they had a method of making it look like your child was gaining more than they really were - a way of artificially inflating the success statistics. The original assessment would make it seem like your child was way behind and then magically your child is excelling the "2 grade levels" they promise. The two former tutors also both suggested I look into private tutoring or else get some workbooks and work through them with my DD.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Warnermommy
Registered Users
seller

My stepdaughter is currently enrolled for the 2nd time. She is 16 and far behind from lack of stability when she was young living with her mom and moving around a lot. It seemed to help her catch up as a 5th grader, but progress is very slow for her now. They charge $40/hr, $36 if you pay in 100 hr blocks. We have $1100 left in our acct and she is not caught up to be able to do Algebra yet. It could just be her circumstances, but she does better with one on one too and they usually teach in small groups of kids. I think for a child that just needs a little boost, it would be great. Be prepared for a sales pitch when you go in. Hope this helps
Warnermommy is offline   Reply With Quote