Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Devastated at my poor supervision of my kids

I am glad they're both ok, you are not a bad mama.
kids get anxious and just want to get in, I think swim lessons is a good idea, my kids don't know how to swim yet neither.

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My dds just got finished with swim lessons and I think its one of the most important things kids can go through-so glad your signing up for some! My kids don't know how to swim per se but they now know how to tread water, float, and doggy paddle-all things that can save their lives in case they fall in accidently.
Don't beat yourself up to bad

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 06-12-2010 at 04:13 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just came back from the pool today and both of my youngest dc went under today(separate times, my 1yrold lost her footing and my 3.5yr old just went out too far and panicked before I reached down to grab him), and I was in the water and they were right next to me. So it does happen quick, even when you are watching them. Dont beat yourself up, just learn from this and figure out a way to avoid a situation like that again.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitchell98 View Post
I'm so happy to hear that things turned out okay. While I would be very scared and upset as well, I think you need to look at this as a learning experience. For both you and your children.

Water safety is a VERY important thing to teach a child. I know you were at a party, but they should have had to stay with you until you were all ready to get in together, or at least until you had your eyes on the water.

Don't beat yourself up too much, just use this as a way to teach everyone what you should not do near water.
See, that is just it. I have taught them water safety. They know not to get in without my permission and certainly not without their safety devices. I am telling you, this all happened in a matter of 10 seconds.

In the future, I am not taking all 3 of them to a pool by myself anymore... even when they can swim. Too much going on to keep track of them all the time.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
jadefaerie
Registered Users

Soooo scary! All these things that can happen in the blink of an eye, and we're only able to do our best. I'm afraid of this kind of thing every day because I know it really can happen to anyone, anyone at all. I'm glad everything is ok and I'm sure you'll never let yourself live it down, but try if you can to forgive yourself. You can only live, learn, and keep on living.
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Oh how scary for your family. Glad everyone is okay!
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

Mama, I know the feeling of wanting to vomit over something scary happening. We haven't had any water issues, but a few weeks back my two year old went in to the street in front of our house. He and his brother know not to go in the street. We go out EVERY day to take out trash/get mail/get in the car etc, etc. and they NEVER go in the street. I have no idea what happened in my little 2 year olds head, but I am putting something in the car and I see him dancing in the street. Granted it was right by the curb, but I was not in arms reach. I ran over there as fast as I could and nabbed him up. What made it so awful was a car came down our street just a minute or two later. I was sick for DAYS over this. I felt like the worst mother in the world. Why wasn't I watching him better? I kept playing in my mind what if the car had come down the street a few minutes earlier. I still feel naseaous when I think about it. Now the boys don't come out front with me unless daddy is home, that way each of us can be with each of them. Toddlers are so fast that things can happen in seconds that we don't even anticipate. I am so glad your little one is ok, and I hope you start feeling better.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #19
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

No flames at all....like people said, it only takes seconds and it can be really tough with more than one kiddo!! [I relate this to the whole "leash" thing]....you do what you gotta do to keep your kiddos safe!! And don't worry about what other people say/think!!!

You are NOT a bad mama!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
angelikapisadika
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama! I got all teary eyed reading this. I feel for you. You have a very lucky little kid, bless her. Thank goodness for the mommy who saved her! How wonderful! When things like this happen it gives us a chance as parents to truly reflect deeply on the things that are important in life. I've had those opportunities a-plenty!

I'm taking this story to heart and will remember to be really careful around water this summer. I hope you feel much better, mama.