Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
simplykat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Devastated at my poor supervision of my kids

I'm sorry you had such a scare, but so thankful that everyone is ok. Be gentle with yourself......

Advertisement

Wanna check our our Challenge?
http://boaktree.wordpress.com/
simplykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

oh my gosh, how scary! Things can happen ina split second, ya know? Just last week I was taking my girls downstairs to make lunch and the 2 year old was a step ahead of me getting to the stairs. I was literally just saying, "wait for mommy." JUST saying it. I got out "wait for m. .. . . . . . " and she tripped forwards. She fell on her face 3 stairs down and I saved her by leaning forward and grabbing her skirt as she fell. It slid down under her bottom in the back and got stuck between her belly and the stairs thank goodness and I caught her from falling down 13 stairs headfirst. But had I not been literally right next to her at the stairs, she would have fallen and possibly gotten seriously injured. She takes those stairs all the time without a problem and has for months. I felt awful. I should have been in front of her. I should have carried her down the stairs. I should have been watching her more closely instead of talking to her sisters. I should have had the gate up until we were ready to walk down the stairs. Etc etc etc. It was every guilty thought in my head that flashed in front of me. But the point is, it just happens. Life catches you off guard and things happen in a split second. You can't feel guilty. The point is, your kids are safe. I would be sending that mama a GIANT muffin basket of course but I know you have done hte same for her and her child so don't let the guilt hurt too much.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #24
petuniaof3
Registered Users

My Mood:

We went to the tropics this winter and while I was fixing the stroller with my mom, my middle DS fell into a the fish pond. Luckily the water only came up to his neck but it was a scary few seconds when his head went under. My mom who was helping me watch the kids didn't even realise what had happened until a stranger had fished ds out of the water.

DH won't let me take all three kids to a pool as we just don't have any trust.
petuniaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

My stomach hurt for you when I read this. I'm so sorry that had to have been so scary, but Praise Jesus that he is okay!!!

I have a 15 month old son and we go swimming and I never take my eyes off him for a split second. I am so nervous with him around the water!! Feel better mama
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #26
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Glad everyone is Ok. Take the time to reiterate the importance of water saftey.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #27
MarineGurl020412
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mama!

I have had it happen. When DD2 was about 18months old we went to a friend's complex pool. We had just walked in the gate and were setting our stuff down on the chairs when I heard a splash (we were the only people there). I turned around and realized it was DD2 and ran to the pool. The funniest part of it is that she wasn't scared. She just sat on the bottom of the pool looking up at us like "Are you going to come get me?!?!"

"Your intuition is a better guide than everyone else's opinion of how you should do it."
MarineGurl020412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That happened to my oldest when he was 4. My hubby and I were at the pool that his apartment complex he manages has. Nice big 3ft deep going to 5ft in the middle. They also had a hot tub. We were afraid what the life jacket would do in the hot tub(like melt or deflate or something), so when he would go in there, we would take it off.
Well, daddy was still in the hot tub with him and I went into the pool because I was hot. Unbeknownst to me, my little guy followed me and jumped in right behind me without his life vest on! I didn't even know he was in the water until I came back up a few feet away and my hubby was screaming at me that Jonah jumped in the pool behind me without his life jacket and was at the bottom of the pool.
I jumped toward him and grabbed his arm & pulled him up to me out of the water.
Holy crap! It was only maybe 15 seconds that he was under but I swear to god that I've never been so scared in my life as I was that day.

Hugs mama. Swim lessons are a great idea! I did the very same thing with my son the day after his near accident.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
momofdolls
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please don't hate yourself!! Almost the same thing happened to me and my mdd at my mother's house. She was on the screen porch and someone let her out without paying attention and it was my ods screaming that made me go running to get her. We had to call 911 and she spent the night in the hospital. I remember how she looked when I pulled her out, and breathing for her. The paramedics said that's what saved her life.... and that was 10 years ago!

It was an accident, and they can happen to the best of us. But I promise you one thing, you will be uber vigilant from now on!

Last edited by momofdolls; 06-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
momofdolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #30
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much mamas for your stories, kind words, encouragement, hugs, and support. It really means a lot.

It has been a long day. I am counting my blessings and I am thankful that I serve a God that is faithful.

I have decided that we will not go to another large pool until the girls can float on their backs, tread water, and doggie paddle. We will stick to our baby pool and our local spray park for now.