Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #31
Registered Users
Re: Devastated at my poor supervision of my kids

Originally Posted by NorahsMom View Post
Goodness, no flames here, mama. This really could happen to any mom. I shudder to think of all the times that I'm not paying 100% attention and dd just happens to not get herself into a precarious situation. She has recently taken to running off outside in our condo complex and there have been a couple times where it took me a few minutes to realize it and then a few more minutes to track her down. Very frightening. Anyone who would flame you is lying to themselves if they think they are always 100% on top of what their kids are doing. You are NOT a bad mom. I'm just so happy that other mom jumped in.

Oh, and I honestly witnessed a similar event at the pool yesterday. A mom was holding her newborn and just swaying back and forth. All of a sudden I saw her start running into the wading pool because her 2-year-old was under the water. The older brother (about 4 or 5) was trying to get him out but the mom bolted in and grabbed him by the arm. Another mom got there at about the same time when she realized what was happening. See? It's the kind of thing that happens in a split second, so of course it can happen to any of us.

again. I'm glad your dd is safe.
I agree with Adrienne! So glad your DD is okay. Try not to be too hard on yourself mama. I know, easier said than done.

Desirae. Air Force Wife to Daniel . SAHM to Daelyn Averi and Drake Aden Proud natural birthing, baby wearing, tandem nursing, ing, ,ERFing, pro-intact mama. I love my family <3
BabyD'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

I assume it was a crowded pool with lots of people and mom's we all turn our backs for a minute. I have really exploring kids and I watch them closely and yet even after just reading about a kid hit by a car, my 3 year old ran away from me and into the road in front of a car last week. I cried my eyes out, and I spend all my time fussing and worrying about my boys and if someone fussy lik eme can lose a kid anyone can. :lol. Try not to be too upset w/ yourself... none of us our perfect, I bet if it were an empty pool your mindset would have been different, something about having lots of other mom's makes me put my guard down sometimes, and truthfully when I'm around friends we do keep an eye on each other's children's. We hold hands, chase run aways and the like. :hug
Jacki: Nerd wife to Mike and mostly crunchy Christian mama to two precocious boys: Brennan Zachary: 12.6.03 and Quinlan Matthew: 3.3.07

Check out felpies for cute goodies!

Last edited by Kismet; 06-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #33
Registered Users

So glad that your DD is ok! These things happen and something similar happen to me and my ODS. We were at my sister in laws parents house which happens to be on a lake. I was 8 months preggo with my dd. My SIL and I had just got done debating the use of life jackets. She doesnt think that kids need them. My ds took off running towards the lake (he didnt have a life jacket on at this point) and before I could get my big preggo butt up he was in the water and laying there face down. I started screaming and my DH ran a pulled him out. Thank Goodness he was ok he wasnt in for more then a few seconds, but the image of him laying face down in the water still haunts me. Needless to say now none of my kids go near the water with out life jackets and with out a grown up right by them. It happens fast and it is scary but you didnt do anything wrong Mama.
becky1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #34
Mommy to 2 special boys
My Mood:

You are not a bad mama!

Our DS1 did that when he was 4/5'ish. We all got to the hotel pool, no-one else was there, I was sitting down feeding DS2 and the next thing I know DS1 is flailing in the pool!!!!!!! I was screaming, SO was like he's fine, he can touch he is just scared, well duh GET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eileen (28) Mommy to Jonathan Elijah (10-23-2003) & Alexander Thomas (02-16-2007). Girlfriend to Thomas Jason (33!) (Nine years together!!)
eileenAKAmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #35
Registered Users
My Mood:

Mama don't beat yourself up! These things happen to the best moms. We all have accidents happen. I was very thankful to another mama once when I was just under 9 months preggo with DS2. My older DS was running up some stairs on a playground equipment thing at the park (which was meant for a little bit older kid but all ages play on it), and he slipped and seriously slid under the railing bars head first. Another mom caught him while I was trying to run around the stairs since it was happening so fast while I was on the other side. Thank God she was there and caught him for me. He had a bruised up arm from it getting caught in the railing bar when he tried to catch himself but other than that he was just scared. I was a mess and crying, but the other mom just handed him to me and said basically "It happens to us all which is why we help each other when we can. She just hopes another mom will be there when her little girl falls and needs catching too." This really hit me. I used that incident to teach my DS to not run up the stairs there since there wasn't anything to hold him in. He now is alot more careful when playing around openings on playground equipment.

Just use this accident to teach your little ones that they are NOT to get into the water without their floaties or without you. My 5 year old and 3 year old have had this drilled into them until they now say "we know mom" and roll their eyes.
Julia--Wife to ; SAHM to ('04) & ('06) & ('09) & ('12)

Last edited by Jewelgurl137; 06-12-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Jewelgurl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
Registered Users
My Mood:

mama. Thank goodness she is okay. Just goes to prove that you can't be everywhere all the time. You are NOT a bad mama. And anyone who says that you are should be spanked. Hard. Bad mamas don't care. Bad mamas are neglectful. Bad mamas are abusive. Hug your LO tightly tonight and thank whoever you need to thank for giving you a second chance to be an even better mama.
Michelle Wife to Lionel , Mama to DD Bobo , and DS Mister
I'm a Scentsy Family Consultant!
Join my team today! Message me for more info!
I also sell Perfectly Posh! Message me for link!
famvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #37
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy

Originally Posted by Jewelgurl137 View Post

Also a good thing to do for future reference.....put the floaties on before going into the pool area. I always do whether it is a pool, lake, or any body of water really.
This is something that we also do. Before we even get near a body of water, in the hotel room, or car, whatever, DD has her gear on.
Mom raising three wonderful children.
L&A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #38
Registered Users
My Mood:

Accidents happen all the time mama! I hope you stayed. I agree about the swim lessons. That will be top on the list when we move to AZ. My best friend has a pool in her back yard down there and I will want DD to be able to swim as safely as possible in her pool.
But you shouldn't beat yourself up. I bet it scared them and maybe made them more aware for the future to that it is no game.

We had a 4 year old go under water at a family reunion last year. The only person in or near the pool was her much older brother and he was underwater. Luckily her mama saw it happen and a few of us ran as fast as we could and screamed her brothers name. He came up and grabbed her. She was fine. We would have dove in and got her had he not gotten up and got her fully clothed. And none of us blamed her mama or brother. Things happen.

Proud Single Mommy of: 1 & 9 angels in heaven. Swags
I will not change my belief's, actions, parenting style, etc just because it offends you! I won't be offended by your belief's, actions, parenting style, etc either. ISO Goodnites Coupons
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #39
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Oh mama, dont be too hard on yourself. Your LO is okay. That is ALL THAT MATTERS at this point!!
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #40
Registered Users
My Mood:

It can happen to anyone mama. When I was 6 my mom took me and my brother to the wave pool. I had passed swimmers safety could tread water and swim the length of the pool 2x without grabbing on. So my mom thought nothing of my brother and I on rafts when the waves came (she was sun bathing, and there are multiple life guards on duty). But some teenage boy flipped me off my raft and pushed me under. The life guards never noticed..I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my older brothers previous teacher who just happened to see the whole thing and jump in and save me.

Because this had happened to me and I still remember it I taught DD to swim by age 3 but still won't let her in a pool without an adult in there with her. And I will not be taking her to a wave pool until she is much older and stronger. Even as an adult I have had people try and flip me off a raft there.
co-sleeping, non-vaxing, ERF, nursing, CD, single mama to ds 3 and dd 9
angelnalex is offline   Reply With Quote