Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My poor newbie's bottom!

My newborn somehow ended up with a staph skin infection(bullous impetigo of the newborn) and it scared me so I gave him the oral antibiotics. The blisters cleared up after 2 doses but of course I'm supposed to give it to him 10 days. I really want to stop. I don't feel right about it. Now he has acid poo that is burning his skin off. He's never cried since being born and now when i change him the pain takes his breath away and he cries really hard. I've been putting earth mama angel baby bottom balm on him and it doesn't seem to help. With my other little ones it works like magic. Oh and he is now so sleepy that I have a plugged duct and am getting the chills(I've had mastitis with my last 3 babies)
So my 2 questions: What else works like magic on raw skin and is it OK to stop the antibiotics? Of course the ped would say no but I'd like to follow my mommy feeling.
Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
jadefaerie
Registered Users

Re: My poor newbie's bottom!

I'm always hesitant with medication, but I would think that if he had staph, if would be best to finish out the antibiotics so it doesn't come back and put you back at square one. It would be worse if you had to do this all over again. Just a thought.

As for the raw skin, I'd suggest trying Lansinoh. We love it for bottoms (and noses, and any other part of us that gets raw/cracked/bloody!) Worth a shot, anyway.

So sorry you're going through this! Do you do any diaper-free time? Not sure if that's an option. Good luck, poor guy!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
schmoopee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Antibiotics aren't the devil. Staph is very serious. If you don't complete the prescription it might not clear up completely. Sure we don't want to over-medicate our kids and have them become resistant to antibiotics but one prescription isn't going to do that. Penicillin has saved millions of babies - think of the old days when infant mortality was so high and babies would routinely not live to see their first year because of a simple infection that penicillin would have cleared up in no time.

I would not be messing around with a staph infection with a newborn, finish the prescription. Don't follow your "mommy feeling" on this one, go with the person with 8 years of med school.
schmoopee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
konayossie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefaerie View Post
I'm always hesitant with medication, but I would think that if he had staph, if would be best to finish out the antibiotics so it doesn't come back and put you back at square one. It would be worse if you had to do this all over again. Just a thought.

As for the raw skin, I'd suggest trying Lansinoh. We love it for bottoms (and noses, and any other part of us that gets raw/cracked/bloody!) Worth a shot, anyway.

So sorry you're going through this! Do you do any diaper-free time? Not sure if that's an option. Good luck, poor guy!
I agree with pps. You need to finish those antibiotics. If you don't, it can come back even worse than it was before, and resistant to the antibiotics too. Also, I second the lanolin rec. Pure lanolin works wonders on DS's sensitive skin and it's very safe too. I just used my Medela lanolin i used for bf.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

never ever stop antibiotics early! This is what cases antibiotic resistant infections.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
mandyhoward
Registered Users

I'll agree with the others; finish out the round of antibiotics! I had a staph infection on my chest earlier this year and it was really miserable. I would not have wanted it to come back.

Lanolin is nice and thick and would probably do a great job keeping the poo off his skin. A&D diaper rash cream has always been my go to for terrible rashes.

Also, I know you can give babies probiotics, but I don't know about newborns. I've heard to sprinkle some on your nipple before nursing. That will help the good bacteria settle his stomach and hopefully he won't have such horrible poo anymore. Our pharmacist now recommends that everyone taking an antibiotic also take a probiotic.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ANY body can take probiotics...even newbs. I would DEF go buy some for him. I would also finish the meds. Believe me, I HATE meds, esp antibiotics, but my 5 yo dd had a staph infection once and they are NOTHING to mess with.

I also agree that lanolin would be great on his bum. Personally, I would use the angel baby stuff AND THEN use the lanolin on top of it kind of like a barrier.

Hugs to both you and your babe.
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice mamas. I'll definitely try the lanolin and I guess I'll keep on with the abx. And I have some baby bifidus in my fridge. It might be expired. hmmm. I think I'll call about the horrible acid foam coming out of him, not sure thats considered mild diarrhea. I've been going through about 25 diapers a day since I want to keep him completely dry and that stuff just seems to ooze out(hope thats not TMI!) Oh how I wish these things would come up during office hours!