Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
jadefaerie
Registered Users

Anyone's kid not night-train until they were older?

My DD is about to turn 5 and has barely ever had a dry night. In fact, she pees her brains out almost every night She's happy and fine wearing a diaper and isn't shy to talk about it if it comes up. I've never worried about it and figured it would come in time. I mean, she's barely 5.

It dawned on me yesterday that she'll be going to Kindergarten in the Fall. She'll be in a mixed-age class, and the school is small and hosts a school-wide camping trip in Sept.

Suddenly, I'm worried that she'll say something and get teased, or that we'll have to worry about her wearing a diaper around the other kids at camp. We'll be there with her, and we're already planning on bringing a disposable so it's low-profile, but I'm terrified that they'll tease her and she'll feel bad about the whole thing.

Anyone's older kid night train late? If so, how late? Did you do anything to encourage night training? (I know it's really a developmental thing and her brain doesn't trigger a wake up, but sometimes I do wonder if she's not just being lazy about it. It's not impossible, she hates to get up once she's asleep, but how would I know?) Did you ever have to deal with other kids possibly teasing about it?

Advertisement

Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone's kid not night-train until they were older?

For some reason all the boys in my family seem to have trouble night training. I have 5 brothers and all had accidents until they were probably 12. My son was completely day trained at 18 months but had night accidents regularly until 6 and still was having them until about 8. Physically nothing was wrong with him, I tried everything but it went away on its own. He never was teased or talked about it at school.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My dd will be five and in the same boat. I will keep watching this thread to see what others say as well.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

I have an almost 5yo DS and he has been trained since 3. He is still in a diaper or pull up at night and FILLS them. We thought for about 2 seconds of waking him to pee before we go to bed. But I HATE waking kids and wont unless it is dire. So we will just let him be. plus if he wakes up in the night, as he sometimes still does, he is REALLY hard to get back down.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
MarineGurl020412
Registered Users

My Mood:

My almost 7yo DD1 has RARELY (like once in a blue moon) had a dry night. I have talked to her dr and have been told that currently the "normal" age for night time potty learning is between ages 4-7. We are just reaching the upper limits of that range so we will be able to explore more things now. But my DH wasn't fully trained until he was 9 or 10years old and I was later than most at around 5 or 6 years.

My DD1 has no issues when she is having a sleepover. She had night time "underwear" (Goodnights from Huggies) and she will just go put them on when she goes to the bathroom to put on PJs and brush her teeth (she is pretty modest most of the time) and in the morning she knows to ask for a plastic sack (if I have forgotten to pack one) to tie it up in and throw it away.

None of the girls she knows have ever said anything to her about wearing her "underwear" (if they even know she wears it).

"Your intuition is a better guide than everyone else's opinion of how you should do it."
MarineGurl020412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest didn't PT night dry until age 6. His pedi said to not worry, but try maybe every 2-3 months or so of a weekend of limiting drinks after dinner and wearing undies to bed(not his usual pull-up) and put a mattress liner under his sheet. If we saw ANY success, be happy but not expect it. Night wetters will PT when they are ready. I think we tested him maybe 4 times until he finally got it. No pressure.
My mom was a night wetter until she was 10. I was expecting a longer haul, honestly.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

DS had a couple of weeks last winter where he was waking up to pee around midnight and staying dry. We congratulated him and told him he's so big now, and he was telling everyone he wears underwear at night now. Then it stopped. He's been so sad but nothing has gotten the magic back. So he's approaching 5 soon and I don't have any idea when it will happen.

With his family history in mind, it could be a long time.

DD day trained herself a month before she turned 2, but has never been dry overnight, so I'm not expecting anything anytime soon there either.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd is turning 5 soon, PLed since her 3rd birthday and has stayed about 50% dry nights ever since. We finally caved & got her diapers in her size. She doesn't mind wearing them at night now. Much easier to clean than the whole bed. She sleeps like the DEAD so I'm not surprised she doesn't wake up to pee. We do take both girls to pee once a night and that helps.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 06-12-2010 at 08:45 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
jadefaerie
Registered Users

It's good to know we're not alone. I feel like all her friends night trained at the same time (or before!) day training. People try to offer me "advice" but I swear I just look at them like they have 2 heads. She day trained relatively early, but she's just a very heavy sleeper--and she doesn't much care about peeing in a diaper at night, or even in the morning when she doesn't feel like going to the potty right away. She's MUCH more worried about waking up in a wet bed. She hates that. I just don't want anyone giving her the impression there's something wrong with her. So hate that about this awful world!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD isn't night trained and she is 7 1/2. I didn't fully night train into my teens. By then it was only when I took antibiotics pretty much. Sometimes if I was really exausted. DD's Dad had similar issue to.