View Poll Results: Would you use a pacifier with your baby?
Yes! 25 65.79%
No! 10 26.32%
Other 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
jadefaerie
Registered Users

To Paci or not to Paci? Also, Favorite Pacifier?

Neither of my other kids took paci's, but I'm considering trying again with this one, maybe even trying a little sooner. I'm a little nervous about it, but part of me would like it to work out

What's your opinion on pacifiers?

And what is your favorite kind and why?

Advertisement

Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: To Paci or not to Paci? Also, Favorite Pacifier?

i tried, but my baby just thinks they are toys.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I tried to avoid the paci with my first but they gave it to her (against our express request) in the nursery at the hospital. I was upset at first but when we found ourselves back at the hospital a few days later (bad jaundice issues) and she was wailing about the IV they stuck in her arm (that was a whole separate issue that irked me), I found out how quickly it could calm her down and I was SOLD! With ds, I tried to avoid the paci again but I totally broke and asked the nurse for one on the first night at the hospital. I haven't noticed that they cause any nipple confusion issues, at least not for my kids, and they work absolute magic. I L-O-V-E love pacifiers.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would, but DS didn't take one for very long. I held off introducing it until 6 weeks old, and he used it occasionally until he rejected it completely at 9 months.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I picked paci over thumbsucking. She repeatedly with accuracy sucked her thumb at 48 hrs old. She took it til 4 mos. We used ones no longer made I think called gerber flex. I like the Mam shape. The nipple on gerber flex is semi similar to soothes ones.

But i believe it should be baby led. If they like to suck alot for soothing try a paci. If not then don't bother.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

DS1 used paci in the NICU for pokes/pricks. He was never all that into his paci unless he was really upset. We took it away at 5-6 months b/c he was kind of take it or leave it. DS2 has a NEED to suck...figured that out on our second night in the hospital. If he feels needy or like he needs to suck he will go straight for his hands/fingers. I'd much rather get rid of a paci than have a thumbsucker. Have a friend with a 4 year old that is still a thumbsucker. Plus it is a great soother when they are in the car seat. Now that he is a little older (4mo) we are trying to get him down to paci at nap/night and carseat only.

almost forgot, we use Tommie Tippie
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3944049
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3944050

They have the age ranges listed wrong. These are 0-6mo. DS keeps them in really well...the soothie's were falling out all the time.

Last edited by kjo; 06-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am all about a paci if a baby will take it. Baby's natural instinct is to suck, so let them suck. My opinion is that a paci is easier to take away and phase out than a thumb or finger.
My son used the soothies (for the first month) and mam, mam were by far his favorite.

I was not going to give my son a paci, because I was going to be successful at breastfeeding and a few other stereotypical reasosn. But after a few hours of him screaming while in the hospital, I took the offer as soon as the nurse suggested it. From there on out I was pro-pacifier!

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends.

DS took a paci for his first 8 weeks if we held it in (it was part of his occupational therapy), it was the gumdrop. After that he did not take one until 6 months, then he gave it up on his own at 1 year.

DD took a soothie if we held it for her occationally, but she never really loved it. She is a thumb sucker even had it in for U/S and within mins of birth. I am fine with it as she ONLY sucks her thumb when she is sleeping, not all the time.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they can be extremely beneficial to the overwhelmed mama of a newborn. Lord knows I tried every single pacifier on the market when DD was in that constant-need-to-suck stage.

Now she's 5 months old, still won't take one, but I gave up a couple months back trying to get her to. She no longer wants to suck 24/7 so I have no need for one.

I don't see anything wrong with them, given it's child-led like a pp said. I don't see the point in a child sucking on one all day long, though. DS took one until he was 11 months old, but ONLY when he was napping/going to bed for the night or didn't feel well. He never 'asked' for one any other time.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

Last edited by THBVsMama; 06-13-2010 at 11:13 AM.
THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave them to both my kids with no issues or regrets. My 2yo still uses hers during naps and bedtime (it's a comfort thing now) and my 6mo only really uses it to fall asleep too. In both cases, once they fall asleep it falls out of their mouth so I'm really not worried about it causing damage to their teeth or anything. If a baby finds it comforting, so be it I say.