View Poll Results: Would you use a pacifier with your baby?
Yes! 25 65.79%
No! 10 26.32%
Other 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To Paci or not to Paci? Also, Favorite Pacifier?

I don't care either way, i think its up to the baby to decide. If i have a fussy baby and the paci helps soothe, then i say let them have it. But if the baby continually spits it out, dont force them to have it.

My favorite were Gum Drop paci's. They are awesome!

Advertisement

kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
isabelsma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I figure I can take the pacifier away eventually, but a thumb is always there. So we choose the pacifier, I do NOT want to have to worry about thumb sucking. All my kids have been weaned from the pacifier by a year old, so it's not so hard as when they are older. I always cringe seeing a 2 year old with a pacifier... And we've always let them have them from day one, no nipple confusion or anything.

As to brand, I always pack a Mam style and the Gerber style in the suitcase for the hospital. My kids have always immediately shown a preference for one or the other. Two liked the Mam, 2 liked the Gerber, lol. So I just go with what they like! Oh, and NONE of them have liked the style that they have in the hospital, lol. I know lots of people have luck with those, but out of four kids, not a one of mine has liked them. Go figure...
isabelsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
I picked paci over thumbsucking. She repeatedly with accuracy sucked her thumb at 48 hrs old. She took it til 4 mos. We used ones no longer made I think called gerber flex. I like the Mam shape. The nipple on gerber flex is semi similar to soothes ones.

But i believe it should be baby led. If they like to suck alot for soothing try a paci. If not then don't bother.
This is the paci my ds uses. You can find them at BRU or Amazon. My ODD didn't care what kind of paci she had, but we mostly used Nuks. DD2 prefered gerber flex (which were impossible to find) or Playtex Binkies (impossible to find at the time too). She actually got "broke" of the paci because sissy threw all her pacis away and i couldn't find either of those instock anywhere. By the time i found one she didn't want pacis anymore. DS uses the Gerber Flex. he LOVES them. But i can no longer buy locally. I have to drive 3+ hours to buy in a store or order them online. If the melt down is minor a playtex binkie will do, but for major issues only the gerber will sufice. For ds its that they have to be straight and skinny. any other shape (like nuk, mam.....) he refuses.

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Only 2 of my children wanted one, DS1 and DS5. DS1 gave his up on his own around a year old. DS5 is 8 months old, and mostly uses his as a teether, and plays with it.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Riley-Madison
Banned

My Mood:

we used a paci from the time we were in the hospital...
Riley-Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
2boysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

all 3 of mine took a paci, they were lifesavers for me. They really can calm a baby down quickly and they slept better at night too.
They all gave it up on their own as well at different ages.
2boysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

We used a pacifier. My LO liked the hospital ones, but honestly, being able to see into his mouth through flexible clear plastic stuff freaked me out, so I couldn't handle it. Many types later, we went Gerber Nuk. While bad cheapies compared to most pacifiers, he couldn't keep most of the others in his mouth and would get insanely upset about it. He dumped the paci on his own at about 9-10 months. He'd still use them occasionally if they were around, but not constantly and didn't actually 'want' them, just picked them up if he saw one
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my kids had pacis. I didn't really plan on doing it, or not doing it, with either of them. It was just "as needed", and they seemed to like them pretty well. OK, my daughter liked it really well. My son was rather indifferent to it for the most part. This explains why we had to actually TAKE hers from her (at 16 months ) whereas he completely gave up his on his own at 8 months. With the next baby, if he/she wants a paci, that's fine. If not, that's fine, too. We like Nuk the best. It's shaped nicely, and seems to work well for my kids.

Oh, but something I saw today in this magazine I get, but never subscribed to, Parenting, was a rave review of a giant toddler paci! WTF?! So now we're encouraging parents to let their kids keep the paci for years on end? That's insane. I HATE that my daughter had hers past her first birthday. The ONLY reason she did was because we were moving shortly after she turned 1, and we wanted to get settled in the new place before taking it away. It even sounds like a dumb excuse to me in retrospect. I cannot imagine letting my kid have a paci over the age of 1, though. Why would people consciously do that, to such an extent that they actually go out and buy super big pacis to accommodate big kids, who should have given it up years ago?

/tangent
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess it depends on the personality of the baby. For DS it seemed point less he was pretty calm and would comfort nurse or play with his hands and was happy so we saw no need to introduce something that would be for comfort, to just snag it away and ban it when they are a certain age, seems weird to me.

My Mother really ingrained into me that pacis are evil, it was very hard to let go of what she said no matter how hard I tried, that and I know she would have stolen it from him if she did see DS with one. Since we didn't need one and I didn't want to fight that fight, I just skipped them and probably would not use them for another baby unless I really thought they needed one.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to avoid the paci, didn't buy one. But then Liev wanted to suck all the time. I tried to let him have the breast all the time, but that didn't work with a toddler. So Liev has a paci for about 10 minutes a day and he loves the Soothie paci.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote