Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
jadefaerie
Registered Users

Anyone *only* use Mama Cloth Postpartum?

I'm debating on whether or not I should stock up on Maxi Pads for the initial post partum period (first few days) or if I should attempt to get enough Mama Pads to get through. I'm not well-versed in Mama Pads, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick with the sposies until the initial "flood" passes?

Advertisement

Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
tristicat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone *only* use Mama Cloth Postpartum?

I'm interested in knowing too... I can't stand regular disposable pads (tampons only user) and am dreading the post partum days for this reason. Maybe mama cloth would make it more tolerable?
tristicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used disposables in the hospital and switched to mama cloth as soon as I got home. fI have found for me, after day 3, mama cloth was more than manageable.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Hjellebean
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to get mama pads but I ended up using the pads the hospital gave me and only have purchased 2 small packs of pads otherwise (overnight and daytime) I think my post partum bleeding is pretty much done my son will be 2 weeks on monday. Its amazing how fast it ended this time and how much quicker I recovered with my daughter I thought I was never gonna stop bleeding. I was happy and rather comfy using those HUGE hospital pads if I had used a momma cloth I would have been changing them even more often the first couple days. I also learned the awesomeness of witch hazel tuck pads. They greatly helped with the 'bottom' soreness for the first few days post partum.
Hjellebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
jadefaerie
Registered Users

I'll be at home, so I'm the one supplying the initial stash but I'm thinking I should at least buy some really big ones for the initial days, like the hossy ones. I'm determined to CD this kid from day 1, but I'm thinking maybe I'll cut myself a break that first week, but part of me wants to CD myself from day 1, too LOL. Maybe I'm just insane!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I did. I don't have a big stash of postpartum pads (they're usually a lot more expensive and they don't get any use once PP bleeding is over!) but between the few I did have and my regular overnight pads I got through just fine. At night I used the PP pads or a newborn prefold tri-folded if all of my PP pads were in the wash, and put a waterproof fabric pad on top of the sheets where I was laying down just in case (never ended up needing it, but sometimes when I'd sit up I'd feel a little gush sensation and I didn't want to risk having to change the sheets in the middle of the night!).
Old 06-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been wondering about postpartum mama cloth.. and regular mama cloth too. Still haven't invested in either one, but i'm not having periods at this point anyway, so it's hard to feel very motivated to invest.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I used disposables in the hospital and then cloth when I came home. By then the flow had abated quite a bit so the cloth was more than sufficient. I made all my own pads for pretty cheap, but a couple times I ran low and I just used those cheap wash cloths from Walmart (which I normally use as doublers for my diapers). You get like 18 cloths for $3--fold them in thirds and voila!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

I did. I used postpartum mama cloth that my sister made for me. I now make them myself. I've also had major bleeding issues since then & had an ablasion which didn't work & is now resulting in a partial hysterectomy. During all of these issues, I've used my postpartum mama cloth the whole time. It's worked just fine! I took a wetbag to the hospital & just dealt with it that way.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
kais_momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used what the hospital provided until I got dressed to go home 24 hours after birth. I used regular flow anf they were enough. I was so much more comfy with cloth! I would forget that I was bleeding I was so comfy!