Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down Kids drinks and snacks can contain lead?

I don't know what to think of this...WTH??

http://www.inhabitots.com/2010/06/11...evels-of-lead/

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids drinks and snacks can contain lead?

wow.
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
adriannemae
Registered Users
seller

awww, wtf.

Use code "DSMAMA1" for 5% off your first order.
adriannemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone else feel like if it's not one thing to worry about, it's another?

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
MommyMandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saw this the other day. I'm so po'd about it. Is it really that hard for companies to be legit and make the right choices to keep everyone safe? Apparently so!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Prop 65 requires the amount of lead in these products to cause a daily exposure of less than 0.5 micrograms. That's about .08 parts per million of most food products.

For reference, .08 ppm of a million dollars would be eight cents. Of a year, .08 ppm would be 2.5 seconds.

Lead occurs in nature at a greater concentration than this. Your kids are at greater risk eating dirt.

Testing equipment to detect 0.5 micrograms does not exist outside of government labs.

In short, it's fearmongering from a nonprofit who needs to raise donations to keep their jobs.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's gross. I know most vitamins, including children's vitamins contain lead too.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
lullaby80
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
Prop 65 requires the amount of lead in these products to cause a daily exposure of less than 0.5 micrograms. That's about .08 parts per million of most food products.

For reference, .08 ppm of a million dollars would be eight cents. Of a year, .08 ppm would be 2.5 seconds.

Lead occurs in nature at a greater concentration than this. Your kids are at greater risk eating dirt.

Testing equipment to detect 0.5 micrograms does not exist outside of government labs.

In short, it's fearmongering from a nonprofit who needs to raise donations to keep their jobs.
Interesting!

However, having a child with neurological damage makes me want to do everything possible to avoid lead and other toxins. For kids under five, lead is very harmful.. I wouldn't call it fearmongering, though I'm typically very skeptical of these things.
lullaby80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullaby80 View Post
Interesting!

However, having a child with neurological damage makes me want to do everything possible to avoid lead and other toxins. For kids under five, lead is very harmful.. I wouldn't call it fearmongering, though I'm typically very skeptical of these things.
It just frustrates me that in these threads (and organizations like this "nonprofit"), people (not you) have this attitude like Dole and Del Monte are adding a good dose of lead to every container in order to save money. That's not the case at all. They plant peaches in a field, then harvest them, cut 'em up, cook 'em, and put them in a jar and sell them. They go to all kinds of extraneous lengths to eliminate lead at every step of the process. Then some new testing equipment comes out that can detect .05 micrograms instead of .1 micrograms, and we're supposed to freak out about it.

I'm all about keeping LEAD of all things out of the diet of people everywhere. And maybe down the road somewhere, we'll find a process that eliminates 100%, and find out that that's good for us - so we'll do it. But to blame these BIG GREEDY AWFUL companies that sell baby food for $0.35/jar... they're not really doing anything wrong. They're trying to keep up as fast they can.

IMHO, of course.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post

My first reaction when I read about this was to wonder what kind of testing equipment was being used and where they got ahold of it - because I seriously doubt that the food and juice manufacturers themselves have QC equipment capable of detecting lead at such low concentrations.

I'm all for limiting lead exposure, but it exposure levels need to be considered in context. This is such a small amount. And looking at the list of 'offenders', it is pretty clear that these lead levels persist across the board - high end manufacturers as well as store-brand, and organic products as well. Pretty hard to eliminate all lead from products when it is prevalent in the environment.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 06-13-2010 at 03:37 PM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote