Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Gentl potty learning advice for #2

My oldest son is 3.5 years. He is now officially potty learned as far as urinating.

However he is scared/doesn't like to BM yet in the toilet. I've done the gentle direction, guide him there type of thing. He cries and/or runs and hides. He want BM in his underwear though. He'll ask for a pull up which is my big clue. At this time I ask if he wants to sit on the potty and I walk him there. Thus the battle ensues.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do from here. He's in a special needs school right now for a speech/cognitive delay so it took him this long to be PL'ed for #1.

Give me your input and advice on what to do I do know that when we first started the underwear full time about a month ago he quickly learned that he doesn't like the feel of wet underwear and the accidents became less and less really fast.

It feels kind of mean to me to say 'let him poop in the underwear' when he asks for a diaper. I'm just loss! TIA!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gentl potty learning advice for #2

Oh no, no one has been through this???
Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Myles_104
Registered Users

I'm currently going through this with my middle child.
This is new territory for me too.
No advice but
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Terra, have you checked out the PLing forum? I know you aren't the only one, can't be!! My 2.5yo is kindof going thru this right now. I say "kindof" because he will go on the potty BM but he isn't super keen on it. I can see his anxiety level going up about 2 hours before he has to go. He gets clingy or mad or both! He just doesn't want to go in his undies but the potty is so new that that's freaky too!
We haven't pressured. We just watch him for signs that it's impending, then we grab a book and go sit on the potty for a while. I think getting his mind off the process helps him(he's fine once he's on there, it's just the anxiety of getting to that point that rattles him). That, and when I'm reading, I'm not looking at him.
Honestly, I don't think I could poop with someone watching me either!

We still have to catch him tho, otherwise he'll just hold it as long as he can and go in his undies or wait until bedtime and go in his nightime diaper. I don't care either way, honestly. I just wish he wasn't so anxious about it. Poor guy!

If my son wanted a pull-up to go in, I guess I'd do it? I dunno. I guess I never gave him that option. It's potty, undies, or diaper at night here.
I wouldn't stress too much. It's just poop. He won't be doing it forever promise!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Terra
seller

My Mood:

So I'm an idiot! I didn't realize there was a forum for that!!

Duh, why didn't I think of the book idea!! He has one book right now that we read over and over and over and over.....that should help!!!
Thanks!