Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can I half a jam recipe? Help!

We went to a you-pick farm yesterday and got a bunch of fresh raspberries. Yum! I made some jam last night and we've eaten a bunch of the raspberries fresh, but I still have a fair amount left. I don't have enough for my jam recipe (it calls for 4 cups of crushed berries), but I probably do have enough to make a half batch.

I know you are never, ever supposed to double a recipe for jam because it won't set right. Can you half the recipe or is that an equally bad idea?

So if I can't half the jam recipe, can someone give me a recommendation for something to do with about 3 cups of raspberries?

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: Can I half a jam recipe? Help!

As far as I know, you can't half a jam recipe either. You can make pancake syrup out of them, just freeze them for making muffins later. If you have strawberries and blackberries or blueberries, you could make triple berry jam. Honestly, if you don't have a use for them right away, I would just freeze them for late.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I double jam batches ALLLLLL the time and it works fine and once I did half a recipe but it is hardly worth the effort for like 2-3 jars, but that's your call. Just measure out the pectin and see how many tablespoons would be half and cut everything else in half and you'll be set (pun intended and fingers crossed).
I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the tips! My DH LOVED the syrup suggestion. He wants to pour it over ice cream. Since it is Father's Day, I think that's the route I have to go.

Thanks again.