Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
mamabear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stinky BumGenius...

About a month ago, I bought 6 used BG from a seller on eBay. I paid a buy-it-now price of about $14 a diaper. I was so excited to get my package in the mail that I tore it open immediately...and nearly fell over. My 10yo, who was in the kitchen with me, gave me a brussels-sprouts-face and commented on the stench of the diapers. I am 36wks pregnant, and thought it was my bionic nose acting up again, but for a 10yo BOY - a child who shrivels at the thought of a shower - to say something to me right away, I knew something was up.

I have washed these soooooo many times, coming from all different directions. My wash routine is a cold rinse/soak for 30 min (or longer if I'm away from home for an hour or two) with borax, then a hot wash with an extra rinse with Dr. Bronner's TTO soap. I have lemoned and sunned these diapers, I have soaked them in the TTO soap, I have washed them in back to back loads, I have tried stripping (without noticing suds), and I can still smell the crap smell in them. I'll tell you - I don't think these were used on a baby... One of these dipes wound up on DD (DH ) and after she peed, I smelled that awful smell!

I kinda think that maybe this is why the mama sold the diapers - even the waterproof outside seems more worn than the other BGs I have accumulated. The other used BGs I've bought have NO ISSUES whatsoever, so I know it's not a common thing with these diapers.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with these rotten-smelling things?

2. Do I cut my losses and sell the dipes for 1/2 price (full story provided) to someone who can work wonders with odor?

3. Do I do as DH suggests, and put just a liiiiiiittle bit of bleach in the load to see if it gets rid of the smell? (DH, for the record, says that they really don't smell as bad as I'm describing; he thinks it may be my nose working overtime.) Did the other mama try this one already, hence the breakdown of the outer material?

4. Do I just pack them away until after I deliver and hope that my nose goes back to normal?

**The other night, as I'm stuffing pockets after laundry while unloading (for the millionth time) to DH my regret on buying that load of diapers, he looked at me and asked gently, 'Why didn't you just buy them all new?' I didn't do that because I wanted to save some money, which I relayed to him. When asked how much I had saved, I mumbled, '3 or 4 dollars a diaper', which I was very proud of in the beginning...but I have gone through more soap, lemons, water, time, lemons, TTO and borax that I haven't saved any money at all!!!!!

I think he may have been saying, 'I told you so.'

Advertisement

mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
kkbtoys
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stinky BumGenius...

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but one thought i had when I was reading through your different attempts to rid the smell is that I've had groomers recommend using douche on a dog that crossed with a skunk to get rid of the smell. I don't know what's in douche, but since it's safe for tender skin, it seems like it could be safe enough for BGs.

Good luck!
kkbtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think those are pretty much just vinegar and water or atl east some are...

honestly, after all that, i havent a clue of what to do!! can you ask the seller whats up with them? i mean..wow!!

i hope someone has a good idea that takes it right out!!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I'd contact the seller and ask for a refund and tell her all that you have done to get rid of the smell. If she doesn't respond, I'd file a claim with eBay. That's just gross!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

ETA: you paid way too much for those diapers to stink!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd try the tiny amount of bleach on one of them, if the smell is gone, use it a few times to make sure it didn't damage the waterproof layer & then do the rest of them.

If that doesn't work, if you can find someone who wants them stink & all, then sell them for whatever you can get & buy some nice new ones. It's not worth the stress & hassle to mess with them anymore.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
MammaGehl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could also contact Jen at CottonBabies and see if she has any advice for you. She is very nice and might be able to think of something to help. Sorry about the smell...
Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to say the same, contact Cotton Babies, she is the one who referred me here she is very helpful
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
mamabear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, thanks, mamas! I've been away all day and just checked in to see if there was any advice waiting for me!

I've saved one diaper out to bleach, and have the others in my hand to vinegar. Or do I want to wait until morning and vinegar/sun them then?

I will contact Cotton Babies (great idea!) later tonight after I shower the kids...

After this, I'll put them up for grabs. There are plenty of other things I need/can do with the last of my free time before this baby comes!

Thanks again, girls!
mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried an odor nuetrilizer like Out? Usually its found in the pet area. Might be worth a shot though.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote