Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Dilated 1.5cm and 80% thinned..what's it mean, really?

So had my weekly appt this morning and I am 1.5 cm dilated and 80% thinned, and baby's head is low and fully engaged.

Okay. That's good and all, but for some reason in my dopey pregnancy brain, I forgot to ask the OB...what does that really mean? His comment was, "you're doing great, and your cervix is helping us along already!"

My husband was so cute...he looked at me and said "does this mean he's coming any time now??" I laughed and said "probably not imminent, but you never know"

So...anyone care to clue me in?

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
ctoth77
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dilated 1.5cm and 80% thinned..what's it mean, really?

Do you want to know what it means about your cervix or if it means baby's coming soon? Your body is definitely getting ready, but I was 3-4cms dilated and 100% effaced for a couple weeks before dd came, so I don't think it necessarily means baby will be here any day. HTH.
ctoth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pretty much what Cora said. Early dilation and effacement means pretty much nothing in terms of when baby will come. Some women will go from closed up tight to baby in arms in less than 24 hours, others will walk around partially dilated for days/weeks/months. I fell into the second category with DD.

I will say that when I did actually go into labor (at already 5 cm dilated) it was FAST since I was already halfway to complete.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
lorio
Registered Users

My Mood:

Haha, you and me both! I am due June 24th with my 2nd, and only 1 cm dialated. What does it all mean? Your body is preparing for labor. According to my pregnancy book, if your cervix is 80% effaced, it means that it is 80% thinned out, which also means you have 20% more to go. As the beby's head descends, your cervix needs to thin to be able to fully dialate. This will not tell you how long it will be until your little boy is born, especially if it is your first, but it is good a good reference point for your next appt. Best of luck for a smooth labor and delivery!
lorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Smalls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agree with PPs. I was 3 cm and 100% for 3 weeks before DD was born. It's great news that your body is getting ready though. Just not an imminent birth!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

okay! that's what I figured, thanks ladies!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

80% effacement means that your cervix has shortened/thinned by 80%. Most mommas start with a 3-3.5cm long cervix, so, at 80% effacement, you've lost 2.4-2.8cm (as in only .6-.7cm left)!

As for 1.5 cm dilation- it means that your cervix is open about the width of your thumb. He/she was likely able to feel the bag of waters.

As for being fully engaged- your babies head is level with your pelvic bones (a station 0). Most women will hang out around -2 or -1 during the last few weeks of pregnancy, a 0 is when baby is engaged, and a +5 is when baby's head is crowning. A -5 would be when the baby is completely free floating in the uterus still.

As for timing- it means nothing other than your body is starting to get ready- it's doing what it's supposed to! You could carry this way, and even further dilated for WEEKS before delivery- or you could go into labor sooner than you think.

Hope this helps explain the physical side of cervical changes!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote