Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

Re: Carseat gurus

Thanks for the link to find an inspector. We just switched from the carrier carseat to a convertible carseat and I want to go make sure it's installed properly (yes, it's still rear facing).

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Welcome, glad it helped someone. Let me know how it goes!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Ok, unless things have changed since my last baby, which they probably have. Sorry to highjack this...but, none of my babies (according to the carseat directions) could be rearfacing up to 1 year old. My babies were too long. it is 20 pounds or soo many inches ( I dont remember). And my babies always outgrew inches first. So we got rid of the carrier rear facing carseat at about 7 months. What should have I done? I'm having another one and I dont want to make any mistakes. Maybe your friend just doesnt know.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #14
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
Ok, unless things have changed since my last baby, which they probably have. Sorry to highjack this...but, none of my babies (according to the carseat directions) could be rearfacing up to 1 year old. My babies were too long. it is 20 pounds or soo many inches ( I dont remember). And my babies always outgrew inches first. So we got rid of the carrier rear facing carseat at about 7 months. What should have I done? I'm having another one and I dont want to make any mistakes. Maybe your friend just doesnt know.

The infant carrier isn't the only rear facing carseat out there. Convertibles may be used either rearfacing or forward facing. The AAP recommends rear facing to the limit of the seat which is often 33lbs (I *think* a couple go to 35). Rear facing is much much much safer. My twin dd's are still rearfacing at 22 months. You'll probably find that convertible seats now are taller than they were with your previous babies. And, (I'm not a cpst), but I think better guidelines exist now regarding height. Better guidelines, such as when the ears are an inch below the highest point of the seat, something like that. Anyway, hope that helps! I'm sure someone else will chime in too! Good luck!
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy21901 View Post
The infant carrier isn't the only rear facing carseat out there. Convertibles may be used either rearfacing or forward facing. The AAP recommends rear facing to the limit of the seat which is often 33lbs (I *think* a couple go to 35). Rear facing is much much much safer. My twin dd's are still rearfacing at 22 months. You'll probably find that convertible seats now are taller than they were with your previous babies. And, (I'm not a cpst), but I think better guidelines exist now regarding height. Better guidelines, such as when the ears are an inch below the highest point of the seat, something like that. Anyway, hope that helps! I'm sure someone else will chime in too! Good luck!
Ahhh, I think I assumed since my kids outgrew the infant carrier restrictions that they outgrew all rear facing rules. It just seemed like their legs were too long. Like they would have to sit criss cross apple sauce just to fit rear facing. I had long babies.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
Carrier infant seats aren't the only seats that go rear facing, they are the only seats that go only rear facing, but convertables go rear & forward facing. and the 1 year 20 lbs is the minimum saftey standard, meaning just barely safe enough to not get in trouble, IMO, that is just not enough for my DC. DD is 18 months 24 lbs 31 inches and still rear facing.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep Cadence outgrew her infant seat before a year and we got a convertable shes still rearfacing at 28 months but shes small too only 23lbs and 32 inches lol